RangeValidator strange bahavior

MattB

I have a range validator that I was setting the min/max values for
programmatically, and I was getting the following runtime error when the
page loads:

The MaximumValue 181 cannot be less than the MinimumValue 8 of
RangeValidator2

Which looked odd (since 181 is indeed not less than 8 last I checked).
So I tried just setting those same values directly in the validator and
got the same result.

So I tried a minimum of 8 and a max of 9 and it works. This is inside a
WebControl, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'm also adding
some Javascript to the controls being validated, so maybe that creates a
conflict. Is there a limit I'm breaking or something? I don't get it,
but I am emerging from a nasty virus, so maybe it's my brain that isn't
working right.
Any ideas? TIA

Matt