"Re: Bootsektor Knowledge required.."

xunling

ok ... thanks

i want to create backups on win32 systems

Can you tell me how many different ways exist for pentiumII III IV,
win9x, 2k, XP to adress the bootsektor? Do you know a good online
documentation?

The Bootsektor is on harddrive (of course) - as i want to backup my
desktop PC - thanks @ this point - hagc -> XunLiNG

Thomas J. Gritzan

xunling said:
ok ... thanks

i want to create backups on win32 systems

Can you tell me how many different ways exist for pentiumII III IV,
win9x, 2k, XP to adress the bootsektor? Do you know a good online
documentation?

The Bootsektor is on harddrive (of course) - as i want to backup my
desktop PC - thanks @ this point - hagc -> XunLiNG

First, this is completely offtopic here.
You should ask this question in a group where you have better chances for an
answer.

Groups in german about windows programming would be:
de.comp.os.ms-windows.programmer
microsoft.public.de.vc

<OT>
The boot sector is the _first_ sector (512 bytes) of a logical volume. It
contains the boot loader code and some file system dependend information.

You can access the bootsector and the other sectors on a volume on windows
NT systems by CreateFile("\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive0", ...) and ReadFile/WriteFile.
Search for this functions on google or MSDN.
</OT>

Thomas