    It seems there are more rules I have to follow in order to post in this
    news group. :)

    David

    cyberdude, Jun 24, 2003

  2. cyberdude

    dbtid Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 12:30:52 +0000 (UTC), cyberdude

    This is top posting (posting replies BEFORE the message
    to which you are replying).

    Now scroll down to the end of the message.
    This is where people in comp.lang.c (and the rest of Usenet, pretty
    much) like to see responses.

    dbtid, Jun 24, 2003

  3. Allow me to demonstrate.

    A: No.

    The convention in this newsgroup, and in most others, is to write your
    It's also unnecessary to quote the entire article to which you're
    responding; just provide enough context for your answer to make sense.
    Remember that most of your readers have already read the previous
    article; they don't need to see the whole thing again. This
    convention allows readers to read each article from beginning to end,
    without having to go back and forth to pick up any relevant context.

    There's a competing convention in which the entire previous article is
    quoted, including all the previous responses which it quoted, with the
    new material at the top. This leads to huge articles consisting
    mostly of lines starting with "> > > > > > "; these lines are either
    too long for most readers' displays, or are broken arbitrarily to make
    them fit. Each article is a then copy of the entire thread, with
    earlier part of reformatted to make them more difficult to read.
    Putting the new material at the top does make it easier to see, but
    only because the bulk of the article consists of wasteful junk which
    most readers will ignore anyway.

    In my opinion, the only thing worse than this convention is a mixture
    of the two. That's why a lot of us will rearrange top-posted articles
    when we respond to them.

    Unfortunately, a lot of news and e-mail software makes this latter
    convention easier to use; it automatically quotes the entire previous
    article and leaves the cursor (insertion point) at the beginning of
    the quoted material. It takes a little extra effort to trim the
    quoted material and place your responses after it, but you only have
    to do it once, and it benefits the hundreds or thousands of people who
    are going to read your article. Most of us here take the time to do
    this for your benefit (and each other's).

    We tend to be pickier here than than the denizens of most other
    newsgroups because this is a very high-volume technical group that's
    in constant danger of being overwhelmed by inappropriate material.

    Keith Thompson, Jun 25, 2003