Reading / Writing to Hardware Registers

Brian

Our POS application currently opens the cash drawer via a Epson-like
printer. That works great, but if the receipt printer fails, then that
creates a choke point because then the cash drawer won't open. The POS
machine we use have two cash drawer ports that are accessible via I/O
port 4B8h. In the old DOS days, I could use outport and inport... my
question is - can I use CreateFile, ReadFile, and WriteFile to
communicate with this I/O port? I already use these functions to
communicate with the COM ports.

Any examples would be helpful.

Thanks

Brian

Brian

Our POS application currently opens the cash drawer via a Epson-like
printer. That works great, but if the receipt printer fails, then that
creates a choke point because then the cash drawer won't open. The POS
machine we use have two cash drawer ports that are accessible via I/O
port 4B8h. In the old DOS days, I could use outport and inport... my
question is - can I use CreateFile, ReadFile, and WriteFile to
communicate with this I/O port? I already use these functions to
communicate with the COM ports.

Any examples would be helpful.

Thanks

Brian

I just realized that I posted to the wrong group. Sorry.