Reality check: MTA COM component in ASP.Net without ASPCompat

Tormod Hystad

Hi fellow bitwrestlers,
I have a legacy COM component that performs realtime autentication and
authorization against a credit card payment provider. They do not provide a
native .Net implementation. I've read everything I've found on how/if I can
best use this component in a high traffic ecommerce site built with .Net,
but I haven't totally convinced myself (or my boss :) ) yet, hope one of
you can!

My conclusion is that I can use this component via the tlbimp.exe generated
RCW in my C#/ASP.Net site, WITHOUT using ASPCompat or IIS5 isolation mode
and not
worry about threading/performance issues.

These are the facts I based my conclusion on:
The component is built with c/c++ and designed to live in an MTA. It's also
marked with "free" threadingmodel in the Registry.
The method parameters of the component are simple int and strings, nothing
fancy.
The COM component communicates with a windows service (for encryption++)
running on the same machine as IIS, using a simple text based protocol.
The COM component also communicates directly with the payment providers
server over TCP/IP.
The component is only used in page scope, new instance for every request.

I would very much appreciate your opinion!

- Tormod