Recomended approach for a regstration page

dan m

Hi people. New to asp.net and am hoping to get some advice regarding
the best approach of accomplishing something in asp.net, namely:

A registration page, consists of:

-4 dropdownlist controls populated from an Access Db via OleDb
databind.
-These selections must be unique (will validate on Submit)
-Total 'value' of selecions must be under a given amount

It's the last bit i want advice on - specifically, if i have 'bound'
the 4 ddl controls as mentioened above, how am i best to display both
the textual (description) of availiable selections and also indicate
the related 'value'. In traditional asp I would concatenate the desc.
+ value in the list then parse it again during submission but since
the ddl's are bound I cant do this (can I!!??) and hence need
supplementary controls to display the related values?

I was considering simply firing a function on the Change event of the
4 ddl's to update a corresponding value (textbox or ddl) control but
this is not great as I'd like to be able to show the value to the user
when merely looking thru' the list rather than having to select an
item...

I hope this makes some sense - please shout if it doesnt - any advice
on the best/advised approach for this VERY appreciated.