Recommended Deployment of ASPNet2.0 to multiple servers

windsurfing_stew

Hi,

We have a website which is deployed to multiple web servers by robocopy
across a WAN. In visual studio 2005 if you choose to publish the site
to a directory it regenerates all of the dlls and for some reason
changes all of the last modified dates on the aspx files to the
present. This means that every trivial change to the website involves
re-uploading everything again.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I have no idea what the team were thinking when they made it this way.
In fact, I've been questioning why you would want to remove project
files too as there is some configuration information that is useful to
have in a project context? I'm sure there is some logic there.

If anyone has worked out a fix or work-around that would be great. Or,
Microsoft's recommendation for deploying websites to to multiple
servers over a WAN? I expect that Microsoft understands that it may
not always be practical to upload all of your content every time you
fix a typo.

Stewart

windsurfing_stew

I'll have a go at answering my own question. I've messed around and
decided to upload everything in the project via robocopy rather than
the published site. This way only changes will be uploaded.

What I find interesting about this is that the runtime actually creates
the other half of the partial classes automatically on the remote
server.

Stewart