Recommended Open Source DBMS for J2EE

Steven Woody

Hi, group

What's the best recommended open source DBMS which works with J2EE
well? What's about Cloudspace?

Thanks in advance.

--
(e-mail address removed)

%% (fortunes)
Q: How did you get into artificial intelligence?
A: Seemed logical -- I didn't have any real intelligence.

Joe

Hi, group

What's the best recommended open source DBMS which works with J2EE
well? What's about Cloudspace?

Thanks in advance.

Iregardless of J2EE, the best open-sourced DB is MySQL.
I don't believe there is even a close second.

Lee Fesperman

Steven said:
Hi, group

What's the best recommended open source DBMS which works with J2EE
well? What's about Cloudspace?

Don't believe Cloudscape is open-source. Are you planning to alter the source?

MSeries

Steven said:
Hi, group

What's the best recommended open source DBMS which works with J2EE
well? What's about Cloudspace?

Thanks in advance.

Don't know if its the best[1] but I have used PostgreSQL with J2EE. It was
used with Kodo-JDO on Redhat 7.1. The version that shipped with RH7.1 was
too old for later versions of Kodo, I had to upgrade it which went OK.

[1]It worked for me which is good enough for me

javadesigner

Actually, MySQL pales in comparison with PostgreSQL. See
http://www.postgresql.org for more details.

Regards,

Patrick May

You have to be really stupid to make a blanket statement like
that.

Slashdot uses MySQL. All of slashdot. Can you even imagine
a better proof of a production ready DB than that ?

Yahoo Finanace uses MySQL. All of Yahoo Finance. Hundreds of
_Millions_ of queries every _day_. Google "jeremy zawodny" for
more information. Yahoo is so happy with MySQL that other
areas within Yahoo are also using MySQL (but not PostgresQL).

BTW, MySQL supports relational keys, integrity, relationships etc.
with the built-in InnoDB table type. I cannot think of even
1 use of PostgresQL that even comes _close_ (heck, not even in
the same ballpark), in terms of number of queries and scalability
that is shown by MySQL _every_ day at the afore mentioned websites.

--
Best regards,

--j

[Remove spam and fix yahoo email address to email me]

Patrick May

javadesigner said:
You have to be really stupid to make a blanket statement like that.

You have to be really stupid to lead with an insult in a
technical discussion. It suggests that you have no objective evidence
for your position.

The original claim was that MySQL was the only option worth
considering. That is clearly false. It is also clearly false that
MySQL has the level of features offered by PostgreSQL (compare the
documentation of the two products for yourself).
Slashdot uses MySQL. All of slashdot. Can you even imagine a better
proof of a production ready DB than that ? Yahoo Finanace uses
MySQL. All of Yahoo Finance. Hundreds of _Millions_ of queries every
_day_. Google "jeremy zawodny" for more information. Yahoo is so
happy with MySQL that other areas within Yahoo are also using MySQL
(but not PostgresQL).

Argument from authority, how quaint. Slashdot is hardly a
mission-critical application. MySQL has a good reputation for serving
website data and other read-only or read-heavy applications. Whether
or not that is the type of system the original poster in this thread
wants to build is unknown. I presented an alternative.
BTW, MySQL supports relational keys, integrity, relationships etc.
with the built-in InnoDB table type. I cannot think of even 1 use of
PostgresQL that even comes _close_ (heck, not even in the same
ballpark), in terms of number of queries and scalability that is
shown by MySQL _every_ day at the afore mentioned websites.

PostgreSQL supports all that and more, and has done so for
longer. The point is that there are other options than MySQL
available as open source. A good rule of thumb is that anyone who
demonstrates an emotional attachment to one option over all the others
probably only has experience with that one.

Sincerely,

Patrick

javadesigner

Patrick said:
You have to be really stupid to lead with an insult in a
technical discussion.

Granted, that was uncalled for on my part.
Argument from authority, how quaint. Slashdot is hardly a
mission-critical application. MySQL has a good reputation for serving
website data and other read-only or read-heavy applications. Whether
or not that is the type of system the original poster in this thread
wants to build is unknown. I presented an alternative.

I would point that almost all database systems are read-heavy
in practice. Even things like airline reservation systems,
inventory systems, scheduling systems, task/project systems etc.
PostgreSQL supports all that and more, and has done so for
longer. The point is that there are other options than MySQL
available as open source. A good rule of thumb is that anyone who

Oh of course PostgreSQL is a really solid, full featured, well
documented database. And free. But my point is that MySQL is
even (way) better because along with being full featured, it's been
proven in the real world at a scale that PostgreSQL simply hasn't.

If you can point to any commercial application whereby PostgreSQL
handles 100 million hits a day, then I would concede that it's
comparable to MySQL in the real world. Bugs get shaken out faster
in that kind of usage. PostgreSQL wasn't even capable of 24x7 operation
due it's 'vacuuming' requirements until quite recently.

--
Best regards,

--j

[Remove spam and fix yahoo email address to email me]

Drew Volpe

Oh of course PostgreSQL is a really solid, full featured, well
documented database. And free. But my point is that MySQL is
even (way) better because along with being full featured, it's been
proven in the real world at a scale that PostgreSQL simply hasn't.

MySQL isn't full featured by any stretch of the imagination. It's
getting better, but it still doesn't support many useful things which
more a powerful dbms like Postgres provides. Even Postgres doesn't
give one everything Oracle does (hot backups being one important
one).

One should choose the right tool for the job. MySQL is great is
certaintly not the right choice for all or even most situations.
imho, the modest performance gains it gives you only makes up for the
lack of features in a few situations; a large website with a simple
datastructure like /. being one of them.

dv

The geographical center of Boston is in Roxbury. Due north of the
center we find the South End. This is not to be confused with South
Boston which lies directly east from the South End. North of the South
End is East Boston and southwest of East Boston is the North End.

Drew Volpe, mylastname at hcs o harvard o edu