redirect if recordset is too many

shank

How do you redirect users to a page if their search criteria results in too
many records? I'm trying to speed up the searching process a bit. From what
I gather, you need to produce the recordset so you can assess if it's too
much or not. But if the recordset is there, why not show it? The work is
already done isn't it?

I just ran a recordset of 80,000 results. I'd like to redirect at about
1,000 results.

thanks!

Dan Brussee

You could do an initial aggregate - "count(*)" to determine the number
of hits and redirect if that number is too large. Alternatively, you
could limit the display of records to 1000 and put either a message
stating there were 80,000 results and only the first 1000 are shown,
or just put a paged result where they can show the "next" 1000
results.