redirect stdout & stderr tomcat 4.1

VisionSet

Not helpful, I've been down that road.

I want to redirect the output you get in the dos window when you startup
tomcat.
This does not by default go to any log file.
I've read something about having entries in a jk2 & worker file but don't
understand what it is on about.

William Brogden

VisionSet said:
Not helpful, I've been down that road.

I want to redirect the output you get in the dos window when you startup
tomcat.
This does not by default go to any log file.

The output of startup.bat doesn't come from Tomcat but from the batch file.
You can modify the batch file to redirect output to a file - try Windows
help for batch files.

VisionSet

William Brogden said:
The output of startup.bat doesn't come from Tomcat but from the batch file.
You can modify the batch file to redirect output to a file - try Windows
help for batch files.

okay so apparantly I can do:

cmd > myTxt.txt

to write to a file

this tries to work when executing a bat, but the file is empty

ie startup.bat > myTxt.txt

I imagine the output of startup.bat is nill, and it in turn calls
catalina.bat

but I can't seem to get anything however I do it. Has anyone done this on
windows?

Also

you can start tomcat 4.1 with java.exe

C:\j2sdk1.4.0\bin\java.exe -jar -Duser.dir="C:\Tomcat 4.1" "C:\Tomcat
4.1\bin\bootstrap.jar" start

Would that help me ?

VisionSet

VisionSet said:
okay so apparantly I can do:

cmd > myTxt.txt

to write to a file

this tries to work when executing a bat, but the file is empty

ie startup.bat > myTxt.txt

I imagine the output of startup.bat is nill, and it in turn calls
catalina.bat

but I can't seem to get anything however I do it. Has anyone done this on
windows?

Also

you can start tomcat 4.1 with java.exe

C:\j2sdk1.4.0\bin\java.exe -jar -Duser.dir="C:\Tomcat 4.1" "C:\Tomcat
4.1\bin\bootstrap.jar" start

Would that help me ?

Yes it does, and for anyone else in the same predicament,
you can, on Windows, just do:

C:\j2sdk1.4.0\bin\java.exe -jar -Duser.dir="C:\Tomcat 4.1" "C:\Tomcat
4.1\bin\bootstrap.jar" start > startupLog.txt

and it should, after all shutdown again, have any stack traces in their full
glory.

Sudsy

VisionSet said:
Not helpful, I've been down that road.

I want to redirect the output you get in the dos window when you startup
tomcat.
This does not by default go to any log file.
I've read something about having entries in a jk2 & worker file but don't
understand what it is on about.

$ cd $TOMCAT_HOME
$ bin/startup.sh -noout