Reference counting

daknok

Hi,

If I want to do simple reference counting for different structures I
would go like this:

struct String {
unsigned references;
char *cString;
size_t length;
};

void StringRelease(struct String *str) {
str->references--;
if (str->references == 0) {
free(str->cString);
free(str);

struct String *StringRetain(struct String *str) {
str->references++;
return str;
}

Though if I have about ten structs, I have ten different functions to
increase and decrease the reference count. Is it, in some way, possible
to just provide one function for increasing and one function for
decreasing the reference count which can be used for all structs with a
reference count?

Angel

[...]

There are number of ways to do this. One of the easiest (but least
flexible) is to start all your structures with the same reference
variable, of the same type, like this:

struct a
{
int ref_count;
char *data;
char *more_data;
};

struct b
{
int ref_count;
int number;
int another_number;
};

Now you can safely read the ref_count from any of these structures, for
example like this:

struct ref_count
{
int ref_count;
};

void increase_refcount(void *data)
{
((struct refcount *) data)->refcount++;
}

You can safely pass either pointers to struct a or struct b to this
function, and it will work as expected. The standard guarantees that
shared fields at the beginning of structures are compatible. In a way,
this is a primitive C implementation of inheritance.

The other way I used this same principle to create a generic linked
list. Similar tricks are also used in the Linux kernel, and in the
network parts of glibc.

BartC

daknok said:
[...]

How different are these structs? It looks like each struct needs other
things doing to it apart from the reference count.

I might go for a single, more elaborate struct that does everything, with
perhaps a tag in it saying what kind of struct it is. Then you need one set
of functions, although they will be more complex (and might still delegate
the work to multiple functions).
str->references--;
if (str->references == 0) {
free(str->cString);
free(str);

Could this be called when ->references is already zero? I might check for
this.

daknok

How different are these structs? It looks like each struct needs other
things doing to it apart from the reference count.

Well I have structs for strings, dates, files, data and URLs basically.
They all use reference counting.
I might go for a single, more elaborate struct that does everything,
with perhaps a tag in it saying what kind of struct it is. Then you
need one set of functions, although they will be more complex (and
might still delegate the work to multiple functions).

Could this be called when ->references is already zero? I might check for this.

This should indeed always be called when the number of references
reaches zero, because in that case it isn't anymore in use.

daknok

Of course this will only be for strings. I need a deallocator for each
struct, though I could do this with a type field:

typedef enum {
ReferenceCountTypeString,
ReferenceCountTypeDate,
ReferenceCountTypeData,
ReferenceCountTypeURL,
} ReferenceCountType;

struct ReferenceCount {
unsigned references;
ReferenceCountType type;
};

struct String {
struct ReferenceCount refCount;
char *cString;
size_t length;
};

BartC

On 2011-06-05 14:14:25 +0200, BartC said:

This should indeed always be called when the number of references reaches
zero, because in that case it isn't anymore in use.

I meant the str->references-- bit.

If StringRelease() is called on something that already has a reference count
of 0, then it might go wrong.

And because such a function is likely to be called from many places where
the caller does not know/care how many active references remain, then that
might be an issue.

daknok

I meant the str->references-- bit.

If StringRelease() is called on something that already has a reference count
of 0, then it might go wrong.

And because such a function is likely to be called from many places where
the caller does not know/care how many active references remain, then that
might be an issue.

If the code is written well, this won't be a problem. Even better could
I write a macro:

SafeStringRelease(s) if (s != NULL) { StringRelease(s); } s = NULL

and use that.

Shao Miller

Hi,

If I want to do simple reference counting for different structures I
would go like this:

struct String {
unsigned references;
char *cString;
size_t length;
};

void StringRelease(struct String *str) {
str->references--;
if (str->references == 0) {
free(str->cString);
free(str);

struct String *StringRetain(struct String *str) {
str->references++;
return str;
}

Though if I have about ten structs, I have ten different functions to
increase and decrease the reference count.

Your 'struct String' contains a 'cString' pointer, which implies that
someone has to set that member somehow. If you offer an allocator which
allocates both a 'struct String' as well as the data that 'cString' will
point to, a reference-counting de-allocator that has knowledge of the
resource pointed-to by 'cString' seems nicely symmetrical.

Does one 'struct String' "own" the string that its 'cString' member
points to? Or are users allowed to modify the 'cString' member
themselves and point to, let's say, a string literal? You wouldn't want
them to free a string literal, most likely. :)

If the string is "owned" by the associated 'struct String', then of
course, a nice thing about having an array of some element type is that
you can allocate 'struct String' and the 'char[]' together.

typedef struct String_ String;
struct string_ {
unsigned int references;
size_t current_length;
size_t maximum_length;
char * cString;
char data_[1];
};

Now you can have an allocator that does something like:

String * new_string(size_t maximum_length) {
String * result;
result = malloc(sizeof *result + maximum_length);
if (!result)
return result; /* pass the null pointer value on */
init_string(result, maximum_length, result->data_);
return result;
}

where 'init_string' is something like:

void init_string(String * string, size_t maximum_length, char * cString);

and sets the relevant members (and 'references' to 1, other stuff,
perhaps). Now when your reference-counting de-allocator is ready to
free the 'struct String', its call to 'free' will include deallocating
the trailing 'char[]' that was allocated by the above call to 'malloc'.
This way, the de-allocator doesn't need to free 2 ranges of memory.
Is it, in some way, possible
to just provide one function for increasing and one function for
decreasing the reference count which can be used for all structs with a
reference count?

I think that depends. If your structs contain references to other
objects (which might contain references to other objects, etc.), it
seems that the knowledge for "collapsing" has to go somewhere. If the
struct "owns" all of the resources associated with it, you could:
- Explicitly 'free' each resource when the struct is being de-allocated.
(Knowledge in the struct-specific function.)
- Track all resources with a linked list and walk the list, freeing
items, when the struct is being de-allocated. (Knowledge in the
resource list.)

If a struct doesn't "own" all of the resources associated with it, then
perhaps you extend your reference-counting approach to such resources,
also. But still, the knowledge for what might be referenced by your
struct needs to go somewhere. Perhaps you have a struct-specific,
reference-counting de-allocator which decrements the references for all
of the resources it is referencing. This is a nicely-collapsible chain
of events.

As already suggested by others, if your structures all begin with the
same type of member, you can have a single reference-counting release
function that takes a pointer to it. While this means not having to use
'StringRelease', 'FileRelease', 'UrlRelease', etc. all over the place,
the knowledge of any "sub-resources" still needs to be somewhere;
possibly in a struct-specific function which can be found via a function
pointer.

Eric Sosman

[...]
If the code is written well, this won't be a problem. Even better could
I write a macro:

SafeStringRelease(s) if (s != NULL) { StringRelease(s); } s = NULL

and use that.

Danger, Will Robinson!

if (x == 42)
SafeStringRelease(string);

Note carefully what happens when `x' is *not* forty-two. (What
you need is known as "the `do { } while(0)' trick.")

Then, too, there's the matter of side-effects:

String *array[42];
int i = ...;
// Release all Strings from the i'th onward:
while (i < 42)
SafeStringRelease(array[i++]);

With SafeStringRelease as it stands you'll free only about half
of the strings; a corrected version would free only about a third
and leak another third. Both versions would be likely to do
something weird on or just after the final trip through the loop.

I'm not a big believer in the efficacy of the `s = NULL' part,
for the same reason I don't use a similar construct with free():
You can NULL out one particular pointer to a released thing, but
there's not much hope of finding and NULLing all of them. For
example, what if `s' expands to the name of a function parameter?
You can NULL out the parameter -- the function's local variable --
but you can't get at the argument the caller provided.

Gene

[...]

I asked about this here some time back. The folks who know the
Standard well denied that this is portable. The standard gives you
now way to rely on common prefixes of fields to be laid out the same
way in memory. But you _can_ rely on casts between the first field
and an enclosing struct type to work correctly. So the fully portable
way is this:

typedef enum { StringTag, URLTag, ... } TAG;
typedef unsigned REF_COUNT;

typedef struct {
TAG tag;
REF_COUNT ref_count;
} HEADER, *REF_COUNTED_OBJECT_PTR;

// every kind object needs the same initial header field.
typedef struct string_s {
HEADER hdr[1];
char *text;
unsigned length;
} STRING;

REF_COUNTED_OBJECT_PTR make_string(void)
{
STRING *s = safe_malloc(sizeof(STRING));
s->hdr->tag = StringTag;
s->hdr->ref_count = 0;
s->text = NULL;
s->length = 0;
return (REF_COUNTED_OJBECT_PTR)s;
}

REF_COUNTED_OBJECT_PTR ref (REF_COUNTED_OBJECT_PTR p)
{
p->ref_count++;
return p;
}

void deref (REF_COUNTED_OBJECT_PTR p)
{
if (--p->ref_count == 0)
switch (p->tag) {
case StringTag:
safe_free((STRING*)p);
break;
case ...
}
return p;
}

.... now for example
{
REF_COUNTED_OJBECT_PTR x, s = ref(make_string());
... use s
x = ref(s);
... use x
deref(s);
... yada yada
deref(x); // causes deallocation.

ImpalerCore

[...]

One option is to abstract the reference count out of the structure and
piggyback it onto a raw allocated pointer. The same trick used to
make debugging allocators could apply to a reference counted pointer.
I've never done it before, but it's something to ponder. Here's my
first pass.

\code snippet
#define PTR_HEADER_SIZE (sizeof (int))

void* rc_malloc( size_t size )
{
void* mem = NULL;
void* p = NULL;

p = malloc( size + PTR_HEADER_SIZE );

if ( p )
{
/* Set the reference count to 1. */
*((int*)p) = 1;

mem = (unsigned char*)p + PTR_HEADER_SIZE;
}

return mem;
}

void* rc_copy( void* p )
{
void* actual_p = NULL;

if ( p )
{
actual_p = (unsigned char*)p - PTR_HEADER_SIZE;

/* Increment the reference count. */
*((int*)actual_p) += 1;
}

return p;
}

void rc_release( void* p )
{
void* actual_p = NULL;

if ( p )
{
actual_p = (unsigned char*)p - PTR_HEADER_SIZE;

/* Decrement the reference count. */
*((int*)actual_p) -= 1;

/* If reference count down to zero, release the memory. */
if ( *((int*)actual_p) == 0 ) {
free( actual_p );
\endcode

You prefix every allocation's pointer with an integer reference
count. On access, it dereferences just like a regular pointer to the
object. With a slight change in function interface, you should be
able to use the refcount interface to interact with a reference
counted pointer. Just don't mix refcount pointers with malloc and
friends.

Not tested, don't know how kosher or brittle the technique is, and I
have no practical experience with reference counting so YMMV.

Best regards,
John D.

Shao Miller

One option is to abstract the reference count out of the structure and
piggyback it onto a raw allocated pointer. The same trick used to
make debugging allocators could apply to a reference counted pointer.
I've never done it before, but it's something to ponder. Here's my
first pass.

\code snippet
#define PTR_HEADER_SIZE (sizeof (int))

void* rc_malloc( size_t size )
{
void* mem = NULL;
void* p = NULL;

p = malloc( size + PTR_HEADER_SIZE );

if ( p )
{
/* Set the reference count to 1. */
*((int*)p) = 1;

mem = (unsigned char*)p + PTR_HEADER_SIZE;
}

return mem;
}

'mem' isn't necessarily suitably aligned for any object; a promise that
the Standard makes of 'malloc'. Since the 'sizeof (int)' must be an
integer multiple of the alignment requirement of 'int', you can put the
'int' at the _end_ of the allocated memory and compute where it needs to
go so that it doesn't overlap the memory before it and is suitably aligned.

Maybe something like (disclaimer: quickly coded):

#include <stddef.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>

typedef int footer_t;

size_t footer_at(size_t size) {
size_t x = size;
x += sizeof (footer_t);
/* Check for wrap-around */
if (x < size)
return 0;
return (x - 1) / sizeof (footer_t);
}

size_t size_with_footer(size_t size) {
size_t x = footer_at(size);
if (!x)
return 0;
x = (x + 1) * sizeof (footer_t);
/* Check for wrap-around */
if (x < size)
return 0;
return x;
}

footer_t * get_footer(void * mem, size_t size) {
size_t footer_pos = footer_at(size);
if (!mem || !footer_pos)
return NULL;
return (footer_t *) mem + footer_pos;
}

void * malloc_with_footer(size_t size) {
void * mem;
footer_t * footer;
mem = malloc(size_with_footer(size));
if (!mem)
return mem;
footer = get_footer(mem, size);
if (!footer)
return footer;
/* Initialize footer */
/* ... */
return mem;
}

int main(void) {
size_t sizes[] = {0, 2, 6, 8, 12, 15};
enum cv {tests = sizeof sizes / sizeof *sizes};
int i;

for (i = 0; i < tests; ++i) {
printf("size: [%d] ", (int)sizes);
printf(
"footer_at: [%d] ",
(int)footer_at(sizes) * sizeof (footer_t)
);
printf(
"size_with_footer: [%d] ",
(int)size_with_footer(sizes)
);
puts("");
}
return 0;
}

But then whenever you want to work with the footer, you'd have to use
'get_footer', instead of a simple cast.

James Kuyper

On 06/10/2011 02:30 PM, ImpalerCore wrote:
One option is to abstract the reference count out of the structure and
piggyback it onto a raw allocated pointer. The same trick used to
make debugging allocators could apply to a reference counted pointer.
I've never done it before, but it's something to ponder. Here's my
first pass.

\code snippet
#define PTR_HEADER_SIZE (sizeof (int))

void* rc_malloc( size_t size )
{
void* mem = NULL;
void* p = NULL;

p = malloc( size + PTR_HEADER_SIZE );

if ( p )
{
/* Set the reference count to 1. */
*((int*)p) = 1;

mem = (unsigned char*)p + PTR_HEADER_SIZE;
}

return mem;
}

The value stored in 'p' is guaranteed to be correctly aligned for all
types. However, the only thing portably guaranteed about alignment off
the value stored in 'mem' is that it is suitable for 'int', it need not
be suitably aligned for any type with a size greater than 1 that is
different from that of 'int'.

The draft of the next version of the C standard includes new
alignment-related features that will help with this kind of thing. The
C1X version of your code should probably use alignof(max_align_t), where
max_align_t is declared in <stddef.h>.

Shao Miller

I asked about this here some time back. The folks who know the
Standard well denied that this is portable. The standard gives you
now way to rely on common prefixes of fields to be laid out the same
way in memory. But you _can_ rely on casts between the first field
and an enclosing struct type to work correctly. So the fully portable
way is this:

Does anyone recall which thread this was asked about in? I'm curious as
to whether or not "the folks who know the Standard well" had offered
concerns beyond alignment.

If 'struct refcount' (above) has an alignment requirement that is not
met by where 'data' in 'increase_refcount' (above) points to, then the
behaviour appears to be undefined[6.3.2.3p7]. But as alluded to above,
my impressions is that the alignment requirement of a struct or union
must satisfy the alignment requirement(s) of its member(s), so a pointer
to the first member (or element) can be cast to a pointer to the
surrounding struct or union (or array).
typedef enum { StringTag, URLTag, ... } TAG;
typedef unsigned REF_COUNT;

typedef struct {
TAG tag;
REF_COUNT ref_count;
} HEADER, *REF_COUNTED_OBJECT_PTR;

// every kind object needs the same initial header field.
typedef struct string_s {
HEADER hdr[1];
char *text;
unsigned length;
} STRING;

REF_COUNTED_OBJECT_PTR make_string(void)
{
STRING *s = safe_malloc(sizeof(STRING));
s->hdr->tag = StringTag;
s->hdr->ref_count = 0;
s->text = NULL;
s->length = 0;
return (REF_COUNTED_OJBECT_PTR)s;
}

Which you suggested might've been better as:

return s->hdr;

(I hope you don't mind my including that from our brief, private
discussion.)
[...]

The only "problem" I have with the "first member" strategy
('container_of', 'CONTAINING_RECORD', etc.) is in regards to
extensibility...

So all of the structs that you define 'HEADER' as the first member for
are all effectively reference-countable using the above strategy.
That's fine.

Then perhaps a day comes when you might like to actually track some
reference-countable objects in linked lists, but maybe not others. So
maybe you do:

struct ref_countable_and_linked_list_trackable {
HEADER hdr[1];
LIST_ENTRY link[1];
};

And then you revisit the code and change, let's say, 'struct string_s' to:

typedef struct string_s {
struct ref_countable_and_linked_list_trackable hdr[1];
char *text;
unsigned length;
} STRING;

There might be several struct definitions to change, too.

Then perhaps a day comes when you might like to actually allow for some
object types to include an "extension" pointer because you'd like to use
an interface where these objects might optionally be associated with
additional data. Do you put the extension pointer inside the definition
of 'HEADER'? Could it go unused and waste space? Do you put it inside
'struct ref_countable_and_linked_list_trackable'? Could it go unused
and waste space? Does it apply to all reference-countable object types?
Does it apply to all linked-list-trackable object types? Does it
apply to object types which are not reference-countable? It's
essentially a "multiple-inheritance" challenge, if I understand it
correctly.

One strategy might be to have object type "operations:"

typedef void f_deref(void *);
typedef void f_unlink(void *);
typedef void f_free_extension(void *);

struct object_operations {
f_deref * deref;
f_unlink * unlink;
f_free_extension * free_extension;
};

then for a particular object type, you could have (at file scope):

struct object_operations string_operations = {
string_deref,
0,
0,
};
struct object_operations node_operations = {
node_deref,
node_unlink,
0,
};

etc. Then your "header" might simply be like 'ops' below:

struct foo {
struct object_operations * ops;
/* Other members */
};

and every object would need to have this header initialized to point to
the operations appropriate for its type. This strategy can also
eliminate the 'tag' requirement, since an object's supported operations
define the use of the object.

void deref(void * object) {
/* ...Maybe check for null pointer... */
/* ...Maybe yield debug messages... */
/* ...Maybe adjust debugging counters... */
((struct object_operations *) object)->deref(object);
return;
}

However, this strategy trades the size of objects for the speed required
to initialize the 'ops' member and to call the functions instead of
making the simpler casts and offset computations for the inherited
properties (like 'ref_count').

Also, there is still wasted space for any object types with unsupported
operations, in such a type's 'xxx_operations' instance. So if one had
hundreds of operations, one might further wish to squeeze space and
forfeit time by using a single "operations function" that returns the
supported operations:

enum object_operation_type {
obj_op_deref,
obj_op_unlink,
obj_op_free_extension,
obj_ops
};

union object_operations {
f_deref * deref;
f_unlink * unlink;
f_free_extension * free_extension;
};

typedef union object_operations f_object_operations(
enum object_operation_type
);

Then your header might simply be like 'ops' below:

struct foo {
f_object_operations * ops;
/* Other members */
};

And each object type would have a handler:

f_object_operations string_operations;
union object_operations string_operations(
enum object_operation_type type
) {
union object_operations result;
switch (type) {
case obj_op_deref:
result.deref = string_deref;
return result;
}
/* Problem */
}

And the general interface would call the specific one:

void deref(void * object) {
f_object_operations ** ops;
/* ...Maybe check for null pointer... */
/* ...Maybe yield debug messages... */
/* ...Maybe adjust debugging counters... */
ops = object;
(*ops)(obj_op_deref).deref(object);
return;
}

Then perhaps a day comes when you'd like to be able to support
additional operations at execution-time. One could "hook" an object's
"handler" with a new handler that optionally invokes the old handler, if
needed. That's pretty easy; just set the 'ops' member.

Then perhaps a day comes when your additional operations need some kind
of context whose storage is not accomodated by the object being hooked.
One could have a "stack" of handlers and context, but then it seems to
me that the minimal size for a meaningful "header" would be:

struct header {
f_object_operations * ops;
void * context;
};

where both of these header members could be hooked for any object, and
where the 'context' member could point to context which itself includes
the same header for the previous[ly hooked] context, etc.

What approach(es) to a "multiple inheritance" challenge do you other
folks in comp.lang.c enjoy? :)

Shao Miller

If I understand correctly, malloc should always return an aligned
pointer, so by knowing ALIGN_MAX, the pointer at offset ALIGN_MAX
should also be suitably aligned for any other object. I think this
might work, but I hesitate as the nuances of alignment issues continue
to elude my understanding.

Or you can put your accounting object at/near the end of the allocated
memory, as mentioned else-thread. Would anyone else mind mentioning
this or does nobody really do that? I thought it was fairly common
practice for some I/O buffers. Filtering... *sigh*

Chris M. Thomasson

[...]
Unfortunately I do not know how
to manually find a platform's ALIGN_MAX. I've seen some incantations
with unions and offsetof, and autoconf has their AC_CHECK_ALIGNOF, but
I don't know how to use it.

read all of these:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.c.moderated/msg/eab267b936d91c7e

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.c.moderated/msg/0bf610f1573455c1

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.c.moderated/msg/9f34b8ed765cb32b

the `ALIGN_OF()' function macro should always give you a "sufficient"
alignment for a given type.

Chris M. Thomasson

Chris M. Thomasson said:
[...]
Unfortunately I do not know how
to manually find a platform's ALIGN_MAX. I've seen some incantations
with unions and offsetof, and autoconf has their AC_CHECK_ALIGNOF, but
I don't know how to use it.

read all of these: [...]

the `ALIGN_OF()' function macro should always give you a "sufficient"
alignment for a given type.

What about some crazy hacked shi% like this crap:

http://codepad.org/A65Noc37

lol...

Dr Nick

Shao Miller said:
Does anyone recall which thread this was asked about in? I'm curious
as to whether or not "the folks who know the Standard well" had
offered concerns beyond alignment.

I asked about it as well when discussing a generic merge-sort that
relied on each structure starting with it's "struct this *next" pointer
(rather than ending as is traditional). My sort function had a generic
struct of that sort that it cast all incoming structures to.

The consensus was not concerns about alignment - indeed, everybody felt
it would be almost impossible to find a system that it broke on - but
that it was *not* guaranteed by the standard.

IIRC (and I may well not do), if all of them went into a union somewhere
then it would have to work, and if you have multiple compilation units
nothing is going to know that there isn't such a union somewhere, but
nevertheless...

Dr Nick

daknok said:
If the code is written well, this won't be a problem. Even better
could I write a macro:

SafeStringRelease(s) if (s != NULL) { StringRelease(s); } s = NULL

and use that.

I'd throw as assert in myself (or a custom error routine - cue standard
discussion about whether assert is wonderful or evil). This is the sort
of thing that should never happen, so rather than ignoring it silently
(passing by the macro issues) it indicates a programming error elsewhere
in your code so I'd want to fail as noisily as possible - certainly when
developing and testing.

Shao Miller

Chris M. Thomasson said:
[...]
Unfortunately I do not know how
to manually find a platform's ALIGN_MAX. I've seen some incantations
with unions and offsetof, and autoconf has their AC_CHECK_ALIGNOF, but
I don't know how to use it.

read all of these: [...]

the `ALIGN_OF()' function macro should always give you a "sufficient"
alignment for a given type.

To pull it into this thread, your macro is:

#define ALIGN_OF(mp_type) \
offsetof( \
struct \
{ \
char pad_ALIGN_OF; \
mp_type type_ALIGN_OF; \
}, \
type_ALIGN_OF \
)

Your macro is quite nice for C89 & C99 in that:
- it expands to a meaningful alignment suggestion
- it should be an integer constant expression

One possible disadvantage for C99 is that you cannot use it with a
variably-modified type.

In my opinion, the "union of many types" approach:
- can waste space
- is not a guaranteed maximum alignment requirement because it mightn't
include all types
- requires that any types used for members be in scope (some might need
to be #included)
- is likely to work anyway

'ref_count_acquire', 'ref_count_release' and 'main' might benefit from
checking for null pointers, but I doubt you were asking for that kind of
criticism. ;)