Referencing the Machine Config file

Mikey_Doc

Hi

We are running cms 2002, Framework 1.0 with Visual studio 2002. We
have just upgraded to Framework 1.1 and visual studio 2003.

All of our database connection strings are stored within the machine
config, this was necessary as our web site has 4 environments and the
database server has a different name in each.

Since the upgrade the applications can't read the strings in the
machine config (previously it was fine). If I copy the strings into
the web config the apps are fine but this is not practical as it would
involve a different web config on each machine (Could be easy to mess
up)

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated

Mikey

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Mikey,

Can you give us some indication as to what happens when you run your code?
Be as specific as possible.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
Microsoft Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------

Guest

I'm having a similar problem. I have an ASP.NET web app compiled against
Framework 1.1 and deployed. When we update the server to use 1.1 SP1 we can
no longer read from the machine.config, only web.config. It appears to be
fine if we recompile against 1.1 SP1, but being in a production environment,
this isn't an option.

The simplest steps for use to reproduce, just adds this code to our .aspx
start-up page
TestValue=<%=System.Configuration.ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["TestKey"]%>

The resultant page just has "TestValue="
The machine.config has the following:
<appSettings>
<add key="TestKey" value="TestValue" />
</appSettings>

Again, if we put this in the web.config, we get the value properly
("TestValue=TestValue")

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Dave

From: (e-mail address removed) (Mikey_Doc)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
Subject: Referencing the Machine Config file
Date: 5 Aug 2004 09:46:31 -0700

Hi

We are running cms 2002, Framework 1.0 with Visual studio 2002. We
have just upgraded to Framework 1.1 and visual studio 2003.

All of our database connection strings are stored within the machine
config, this was necessary as our web site has 4 environments and the
database server has a different name in each.

Since the upgrade the applications can't read the strings in the
machine config (previously it was fine). If I copy the strings into
the web config the apps are fine but this is not practical as it would
involve a different web config on each machine (Could be easy to mess
up)

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated

Mikey

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Did you place the <appSettings> element BELOW the <configSections> section
in the machine.config? You should.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
ASP.NET Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgTA==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Referencing the Machine Config file
| Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 08:45:05 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I'm having a similar problem. I have an ASP.NET web app compiled against
| Framework 1.1 and deployed. When we update the server to use 1.1 SP1 we
can
| no longer read from the machine.config, only web.config. It appears to be
| fine if we recompile against 1.1 SP1, but being in a production
environment,
| this isn't an option.
|
| The simplest steps for use to reproduce, just adds this code to our .aspx
| start-up page:
TestValue=<%=System.Configuration.ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["TestKey
"]%>

| The resultant page just has "TestValue="
| The machine.config has the following:
| <appSettings>
| <add key="TestKey" value="TestValue" />
| </appSettings>
|
| Again, if we put this in the web.config, we get the value properly
| ("TestValue=TestValue")
|
| Thanks for any help you can offer.
|
| Dave
|
| "Jim Cheshire [MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Mikey,
| >
| > Can you give us some indication as to what happens when you run your
code?
| > Be as specific as possible.
| >
| > Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
| > MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
| > Microsoft Developer Support
| > (e-mail address removed)
| >
| > This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > >From: (e-mail address removed) (Mikey_Doc)
| > >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > >Subject: Referencing the Machine Config file
| > >Date: 5 Aug 2004 09:46:31 -0700
| > >
| > >Hi
| > >
| > >We are running cms 2002, Framework 1.0 with Visual studio 2002. We
| > >have just upgraded to Framework 1.1 and visual studio 2003.
| > >
| > >All of our database connection strings are stored within the machine
| > >config, this was necessary as our web site has 4 environments and the
| > >database server has a different name in each.
| > >
| > >Since the upgrade the applications can't read the strings in the
| > >machine config (previously it was fine). If I copy the strings into
| > >the web config the apps are fine but this is not practical as it would
| > >involve a different web config on each machine (Could be easy to mess
| > >up)
| > >
| > >Any thoughts are greatly appreciated
| > >
| > >Mikey

Guest

Yes. Remember I said it all works fine if I compile the web app against
Framework 1.1 SP1 with no other changes.

Jim Cheshire said:
Did you place the <appSettings> element BELOW the <configSections> section
in the machine.config? You should.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
ASP.NET Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgTA==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Referencing the Machine Config file
| Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 08:45:05 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I'm having a similar problem. I have an ASP.NET web app compiled against
| Framework 1.1 and deployed. When we update the server to use 1.1 SP1 we
can
| no longer read from the machine.config, only web.config. It appears to be
| fine if we recompile against 1.1 SP1, but being in a production
environment,
| this isn't an option.
|
| The simplest steps for use to reproduce, just adds this code to our .aspx
| start-up page:
TestValue=<%=System.Configuration.ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["TestKey
"]%>

| The resultant page just has "TestValue="
| The machine.config has the following:
| <appSettings>
| <add key="TestKey" value="TestValue" />
| </appSettings>
|
| Again, if we put this in the web.config, we get the value properly
| ("TestValue=TestValue")
|
| Thanks for any help you can offer.
|
| Dave
|
| "Jim Cheshire [MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Mikey,
| >
| > Can you give us some indication as to what happens when you run your
code?
| > Be as specific as possible.
| >
| > Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
| > MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
| > Microsoft Developer Support
| > (e-mail address removed)
| >
| > This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > >From: (e-mail address removed) (Mikey_Doc)
| > >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > >Subject: Referencing the Machine Config file
| > >Date: 5 Aug 2004 09:46:31 -0700
| > >
| > >Hi
| > >
| > >We are running cms 2002, Framework 1.0 with Visual studio 2002. We
| > >have just upgraded to Framework 1.1 and visual studio 2003.
| > >
| > >All of our database connection strings are stored within the machine
| > >config, this was necessary as our web site has 4 environments and the
| > >database server has a different name in each.
| > >
| > >Since the upgrade the applications can't read the strings in the
| > >machine config (previously it was fine). If I copy the strings into
| > >the web config the apps are fine but this is not practical as it would
| > >involve a different web config on each machine (Could be easy to mess
| > >up)
| > >
| > >Any thoughts are greatly appreciated
| > >
| > >Mikey

Guest

Jim, hope I didn't offend you with my comment.

In any case, we've had an unsatisfying resolution to this problem. We
created a new web site in a vroot that just read from machine.config. When we
installed this, it worked. We created another vroot to point back to the
original root dir that was having the problems, and it worked. We then tried
to go directly to the root again and it worked. The machine hadn't been
rebooted and we had done several iisresets previously.

I don't see how creating the new vroot could have resolved it. So, it
remains a mystery to us.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Jim Cheshire said:
Did you place the <appSettings> element BELOW the <configSections> section
in the machine.config? You should.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
ASP.NET Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgTA==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Referencing the Machine Config file
| Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 08:45:05 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I'm having a similar problem. I have an ASP.NET web app compiled against
| Framework 1.1 and deployed. When we update the server to use 1.1 SP1 we
can
| no longer read from the machine.config, only web.config. It appears to be
| fine if we recompile against 1.1 SP1, but being in a production
environment,
| this isn't an option.
|
| The simplest steps for use to reproduce, just adds this code to our .aspx
| start-up page:
TestValue=<%=System.Configuration.ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["TestKey
"]%>

| The resultant page just has "TestValue="
| The machine.config has the following:
| <appSettings>
| <add key="TestKey" value="TestValue" />
| </appSettings>
|
| Again, if we put this in the web.config, we get the value properly
| ("TestValue=TestValue")
|
| Thanks for any help you can offer.
|
| Dave
|
| "Jim Cheshire [MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Mikey,
| >
| > Can you give us some indication as to what happens when you run your
code?
| > Be as specific as possible.
| >
| > Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
| > MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
| > Microsoft Developer Support
| > (e-mail address removed)
| >
| > This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > >From: (e-mail address removed) (Mikey_Doc)
| > >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > >Subject: Referencing the Machine Config file
| > >Date: 5 Aug 2004 09:46:31 -0700
| > >
| > >Hi
| > >
| > >We are running cms 2002, Framework 1.0 with Visual studio 2002. We
| > >have just upgraded to Framework 1.1 and visual studio 2003.
| > >
| > >All of our database connection strings are stored within the machine
| > >config, this was necessary as our web site has 4 environments and the
| > >database server has a different name in each.
| > >
| > >Since the upgrade the applications can't read the strings in the
| > >machine config (previously it was fine). If I copy the strings into
| > >the web config the apps are fine but this is not practical as it would
| > >involve a different web config on each machine (Could be easy to mess
| > >up)
| > >
| > >Any thoughts are greatly appreciated
| > >
| > >Mikey

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Dave,

No offense at all. I've been out of the office for about a week and just
haven't responded to any posts.

I suspect that what you're seeing here is some metabase corruption in IIS.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
ASP.NET Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgTA==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Referencing the Machine Config file
| Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 08:05:23 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Jim, hope I didn't offend you with my comment.
|
| In any case, we've had an unsatisfying resolution to this problem. We
| created a new web site in a vroot that just read from machine.config.
When we
| installed this, it worked. We created another vroot to point back to the
| original root dir that was having the problems, and it worked. We then
tried
| to go directly to the root again and it worked. The machine hadn't been
| rebooted and we had done several iisresets previously.
|
| I don't see how creating the new vroot could have resolved it. So, it
| remains a mystery to us.
|
| Thanks for your help.
|
| Dave
|
| "David L" wrote:
|
| > Yes. Remember I said it all works fine if I compile the web app against
| > Framework 1.1 SP1 with no other changes.
| >
| > "Jim Cheshire [MSFT]" wrote:
| >
| > > Did you place the <appSettings> element BELOW the <configSections>
section
| > > in the machine.config? You should.
| > >
| > > Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
| > > MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
| > > ASP.NET Developer Support
| > > (e-mail address removed)
| > >
| > > This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

| > > --------------------
SP1 we
| > > can
| > > environment,
| > > |

TestValue=<%=System.Configuration.ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["TestKey
| > > "]%>
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |

| > > code?

cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!t-onlin

e.de!fr.ip.ndsoftware.net!proxad.net!postnews2.google.com!not-for-mail

We

| > > |