Looking for automatic .config file modifier

DC

Hi,

before I start to program a tool from scratch I wanted to check if
somebody knows an existing solution: we often have the demand to
modify a certain config value in many .config (web.config and
Enterprise Library config - yes we still use them) files. For example:
web applications with different paths. It's not an xcopy scenario
since the configs differ on the different servers, they just have some
settings in common. So it is required that one is able to configure
the xml file path and the config value's xpath for every entry.

Ideally we would use a web frontend to switch between configured
values and push a button to modify all the values. Since we are
talking about plain xml manipulation: does anybody use such a tool?

TIA for any ideas,
Regards
DC

sloan

If you really really want to dig and look.

StockTrader Application is a WCF app. Greg Leake is the author.

However, put aside the wcf stuff, and he has a "db values to .config files"
stuff.

Its in its infancy, but is a framework...basically if you wanted to deploy
settings to alot of different machines.
Aka, if you have 100 servers in a web farm, you'd want to consider his code
and/or approach.

msdn.microsoft.com/stocktrader/

Again, its in its infancy. Find the simple settings or something like that
code.

COMPANY_NAME or something like that might be an item to look for in the
source code.

He also has 2 videos on channel9 , so you can watch those.

DC

If you really really want to dig and look.

StockTrader Application is a WCF app.  Greg Leake is the author.

However, put aside the wcf stuff, and he has a "db values to .config files"
stuff.

Its in its infancy, but is a framework...basically if you wanted to deploy
settings to alot of different machines.
Aka, if you have 100 servers in a web farm, you'd want to consider his code
and/or approach.

msdn.microsoft.com/stocktrader/

Again, its in its infancy.  Find the simple settings or something like that
code.

COMPANY_NAME or something like that might be an item to look for in the
source code.

He also has 2 videos on channel9 , so you can watch those.

..

- Zitierten Text anzeigen -

Thank you, sloan, I will have a look.

Regards