Referring to a child window

laredotornado

Hi,

If I spawn a child window using "window.open( ... )", and then I
change the location.href of the parent that spawned the child, is it
possible to refer to the child from the new window, using the name I
passed to the window.open call?

Thanks, - Dave

RobG

Hi,

If I spawn a child window using "window.open( ... )", and then I
change the location.href of the parent that spawned the child, is it
possible to refer to the child from the new window, using the name I
passed to the window.open call?

No.

The section on browsing contexts, window and document objects in the
HTML5 draft might be useful:

RobG

Probably should qualify that. If you load a new document, rather than
just navigate to an anchor in the current page, then you will get a
new window object and new global script execution context. Using the
back button will probably restore the context, but I'm not confident
it will be reliable for child windows.