Relative imports in packages

Johannes Bauer

Hi list,

I've these two minor problems which bothered me for quite some time,
maybe you can help me. I'm using Python 3.2.

For some project I have a component in its own package. Let's say the
structure looks like this:

pkg/__init__.py
pkg/Foo.py
pkg/Bar.py

Foo.py and Bar.py contain their classes "Foo" and "Bar", __init__.py
looks like this:

from .Foo import Foo
from .Bar import Bar

This allows me to "naturally" access classes, i.e. from my main program:

import pkg
pkg.Foo("initme")

or

from pkg import Foo
Foo("initme")

So far, so good. Now let's say Bar uses Foo, i.e. in Bar's header is
something like:

from .Foo import Foo

If this all weren't a package the declaration would just read "from Foo
import Foo" and I could easily append a small unit-test to Bar:

if __name__ == "__main__":
# test
pass

However, when using a package this fails: Obviously, when I directly go
into the pkg/ subdirectory and try to execute Bar.py, the import of Foo
fails and it doesn't work. Is there a nice solution to this or am I
doing it all wrong?

Then another minor question: Let's say my __init__.py contains a constant:

VERSION = "0.01"

From my main program I can easily import that:

from pkg import VERSION
print(VERSION)

However, from Foo.py, I cannot seem to get the syntax right:

from . import VERSION

File "Foo.py", line 10, in <module>
from . import VERSION
ImportError: cannot import name VERSION