Release sequence in C++0x memory model

Joined
Oct 13, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
While I think I've understood the definition of a "release sequence", I don't quite get why it is defined in such a way.

Basically, its a contiguous part of the modification order that starts with a release (let's call it X), and is followed by either (a) writes by the same thread or (b) RMWs.

The way I tend to interpret it is that a write by a different thread would cause a loss of "information" about X. RMWs don't cause this loss of information because of the "modify" aspect that carries some dependency on the previous value without completely erasing it. Is this intuition correct?

-- Giovanni