reloading modules

aine_canby

I'm using python.exe to execute my modules. I have a music.py module
which contains my classes and a main.py module which uses these
classes. In python.exe, I call "import main" to execute my program. The
problem is that I have to close python and reopen it everytime i change
music.py or main.py. What should I be doing.

Thanks,

Aine.

Dustan

I'm using python.exe to execute my modules. I have a music.py module
which contains my classes and a main.py module which uses these
classes. In python.exe, I call "import main" to execute my program. The
problem is that I have to close python and reopen it everytime i change
music.py or main.py. What should I be doing.

Thanks,

Aine.
### Execution Occurs ###

Dustan

Dustan said:
### Execution Occurs ###

I was obviously assuming that your module does something just by
importing, which may or may not be the case. Either way, whenever a
module may have been edited during a program's lifetime, it can be
reloaded using the reload function.

Frank Millman

I'm using python.exe to execute my modules. I have a music.py module
which contains my classes and a main.py module which uses these
classes. In python.exe, I call "import main" to execute my program. The
problem is that I have to close python and reopen it everytime i change
music.py or main.py. What should I be doing.

Thanks,

Aine.

Instead of calling 'import', use the 'imp' module and call
'find_module' followed by 'load_module'. As the docs explain, one of
the differences between this and 'import' is that it loads the module
every time, even if it is already imported.

HTH

Frank Millman

Kent Johnson

Dustan said:
### Execution Occurs ###

If you edit music.py you will have to
import music
reload(music)

to get the new music module, then
reload(main)

to run again.

You could just type
> python main.py

at the command line each time you want to run, or use an editor that
lets you run the program from within the editor.

Kent