    genate a dll or PDB file?

    Thanks in advance!
    Rick

    Rick, May 20, 2008

  2. Rick

    Alex Meleta Guest

    Hi Rick,

    Have you ever dialing with the Remote Debugging Tools located at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start
    Menu\Programs\Microsoft Visual Studio 2005\8\Visual Studio Tools? Briefly,
    you can install them at remote host, configure and use just as local service.
    These link helps you to config: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xf8k2h6a.aspx
    and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910448/en-us
    By using the tools you can connect directly to the aspnet process on remote
    host.

    But, anyway, consider a production deployment. You cannot install this stuff
    there. So, that's better to have a log fairly enough for understanding the
    bug by text description (EventLog, log4net and so on).

    Regards, Alex

    Alex Meleta, May 20, 2008

  3. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Thanks Alex! I'll look into it. I went back to the old days and used ASP
    debugging by putting response.writes in the function that was failing to
    narrow down the issue I was having, I was able to figure out the issue, it
    turned out to be a machine.config problem.

    Thanks,
    Rick

    Rick, May 20, 2008
  4. Hi Rick,

    Yes, for remote debugging, you need to start the remote debugger monitor at
    the target server (which running your ASP.NET application). You can install
    only the remote debugging tools instead of the entire visual studio.

    BTW, as for PDB of the asp.net application, I'm wondering have you
    performed precompilation of your ASP.NET web site application?
    Precompilation should be able to produce a central assembly and the PDB
    file. If you use dynamic compilation(did not perform precompile), the pages
    are dynamically compiled at runtime and the pdb files are also generated
    with the dynamic page classes (in the Temporary ASP.NET folder).

    here is a good article which mentioned details about the compilation model
    and the debugging symbols of ASP.NET 2.0 application:

    #Debug and Release Builds in ASP.NET 2.0
    http://odetocode.com/blogs/scott/archive/2005/11/15/2464.aspx

    Hope this also helps some.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng