Remote Debugging

Rick

We have a web site that was built as an ASP.Net Web Site, I am unable to
remote debug, when build ing the web site there is not a dll or PDB file
generated. I can debug on my local machine but unable to attach to the
process when running from the web server.

Can someone tell me how to remote debug an ASP.Net Website that does not
genate a dll or PDB file?

Thanks in advance!
Rick

Alex Meleta

Hi Rick,

Have you ever dialing with the Remote Debugging Tools located at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start
Menu\Programs\Microsoft Visual Studio 2005\8\Visual Studio Tools? Briefly,
you can install them at remote host, configure and use just as local service.
These link helps you to config: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xf8k2h6a.aspx
and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910448/en-us
By using the tools you can connect directly to the aspnet process on remote
host.

But, anyway, consider a production deployment. You cannot install this stuff
there. So, that's better to have a log fairly enough for understanding the
bug by text description (EventLog, log4net and so on).

Regards, Alex

R> We have a web site that was built as an ASP.Net Web Site, I am unable
R> to remote debug, when build ing the web site there is not a dll or
R> PDB file generated. I can debug on my local machine but unable to
R> attach to the process when running from the web server.
R>
R> Can someone tell me how to remote debug an ASP.Net Website that does
R> not genate a dll or PDB file?
R>
R> Thanks in advance!
R> Ric

Rick

Thanks Alex! I'll look into it. I went back to the old days and used ASP
debugging by putting response.writes in the function that was failing to
narrow down the issue I was having, I was able to figure out the issue, it
turned out to be a machine.config problem.

Thanks,
Rick

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Rick,

Yes, for remote debugging, you need to start the remote debugger monitor at
the target server (which running your ASP.NET application). You can install
only the remote debugging tools instead of the entire visual studio.

BTW, as for PDB of the asp.net application, I'm wondering have you
performed precompilation of your ASP.NET web site application?
Precompilation should be able to produce a central assembly and the PDB
file. If you use dynamic compilation(did not perform precompile), the pages
are dynamically compiled at runtime and the pdb files are also generated
with the dynamic page classes (in the Temporary ASP.NET folder).

here is a good article which mentioned details about the compilation model
and the debugging symbols of ASP.NET 2.0 application:

#Debug and Release Builds in ASP.NET 2.0
http://odetocode.com/blogs/scott/archive/2005/11/15/2464.aspx

Hope this also helps some.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng