    Colin Guest

    I have two files and I want to rename file B to file A
    without doing a system call - can I do this in C using file pointers ?

    Colin, Jul 4, 2003

  2. rename() uses the names of the files. There need not be a FILE * or
    system() in sight.

    Martin Ambuhl, Jul 4, 2003

  3. Colin

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Well, there's a function in the C standard library for
    this --- called, [surprise!] 'rename()'. Look it up.
    No 'file pointers' are needed, nor does the file even
    need to be opened by you. 'rename()'s parameters are
    both strings -- one the 'old' name, the other the 'new' one.
    Be sure to check the return value to see if it succeeded
    or not.

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Jul 4, 2003
  4. Groovy hepcat Colin was jivin' on 3 Jul 2003 19:19:12 -0700 in
    comp.lang.c.
    Renaming files in C's a cool scene! Dig it!
    There is the standard C function rename() to perform this very task.
    Next time, why not try your C book first?

    http://alphalink.com.au/~phaywood/

    Peter Shaggy Haywood, Jul 6, 2003