Rendering one page temporarily while another posts back

WhiskeyRomeo

I have seen this done on many sites but cannot imagine how this is done in
..Net 1.1.

We want to render another page displaying an animated gif while a credit
card order is processed. So the scenario would be a Check Out page where a
customer presses a submit order button. Next the page with the animated gif
would display while the credit card is being processed and the order is being
saved. If all goes well, the customer is redirected to a Receipt page. If
not, the intermediate page displaying the animated gif goes away leaving the
customer on the Check Out page with messages indicating the reason for
failure (the number one reason is invalid credit card credentials).

Presently, the customer is simply taken to a receipt page. But my customers
want the above scenario.

It seems to me the intermediate page must display before the Check Out page
posts back; and, the Check Out page has to close the intermediate page when
it has completed the post back and encountered no errors. Then the redirect
to the Receipt page must happen.

wr

bruce barker

the browser will not run an animated gif during a postback. you have two
options

1). post back and start a thread to do the processing. then using a meta
tag, poll until complete.

2) do the postback with ajax.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)