Replacing Perl files with ASPX files.

stewdean

Hi,

Before I start I'm a neebie and I've spent the last day getting some
basics on .net but come from a unix background. I currently have a
site that needs to keep it's HTML file endings, I can't reconfigure
HTML to run as aspx on the server, and am looking to keep the existing
files where they are.

I've got a series of challenges to reconfigure stuff but I'm starting
with an easy first step. On each page there is a box to submit an
email. This used to just call up a perl script and post the email.

I now am on a .net box and from what I've read need to turn the page
in to an aspx page to make this work. I cannot and don't really want
to (aspx endings I consider user unfriendly) but I'm willing to let
the thank you pages be aspx endings, even if I prefer .html.

Now I know this is a tall order, first because I'm new to this and
secondly because, from what I've seen so far, .net wants me to work in
a way I don't want to (sorry, don't want to budge) but can anyone
offer a simple solution / example that I can use on this site.

Cheers

Stewart Dean

Aidy

[...]

You can map any extension of file to be handled as an asp.net one. However
you can still have an HTML file like you do know and have it's FORM's action
post to an ASPX page. The aspx page sends the e-mail then directs the user
to an html thank you page. That way the user only ever sees two html pages
and no aspx ones.

stew dean

You can map any extension of file to be handled as an asp.net one. However
you can still have an HTML file like you do know and have it's FORM's action
post to an ASPX page. The aspx page sends the e-mail then directs the user
to an html thank you page. That way the user only ever sees two html pages
and no aspx ones.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like the idea solution and nice to see
it's possible. Bearing mind I'm very new to this is here somewhere I
can see an example of this?

Cheers

Rad [Visual C# MVP]

[...]

You can still run perl on a windows box, and even get IIS to use perl to
process web scripts. Go to ActiveState.com and you can get a download that
will do all the configuration for you