Replacing Perl files with ASPX files.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by stewdean, Mar 1, 2007.

  1. stewdean

    stewdean Guest

    Hi,

    Before I start I'm a neebie and I've spent the last day getting some
    basics on .net but come from a unix background. I currently have a
    site that needs to keep it's HTML file endings, I can't reconfigure
    HTML to run as aspx on the server, and am looking to keep the existing
    files where they are.

    I've got a series of challenges to reconfigure stuff but I'm starting
    with an easy first step. On each page there is a box to submit an
    email. This used to just call up a perl script and post the email.

    I now am on a .net box and from what I've read need to turn the page
    in to an aspx page to make this work. I cannot and don't really want
    to (aspx endings I consider user unfriendly) but I'm willing to let
    the thank you pages be aspx endings, even if I prefer .html.

    Now I know this is a tall order, first because I'm new to this and
    secondly because, from what I've seen so far, .net wants me to work in
    a way I don't want to (sorry, don't want to budge) but can anyone
    offer a simple solution / example that I can use on this site.

    Cheers

    Stewart Dean

    stewdean, Mar 1, 2007

  2. stewdean

    Aidy Guest

    Before I start I'm a neebie and I've spent the last day getting some
    You can map any extension of file to be handled as an asp.net one. However
    you can still have an HTML file like you do know and have it's FORM's action
    post to an ASPX page. The aspx page sends the e-mail then directs the user
    to an html thank you page. That way the user only ever sees two html pages
    and no aspx ones.

    Aidy, Mar 1, 2007

  3. stewdean

    stew dean Guest

    Thanks for the reply. Sounds like the idea solution and nice to see
    it's possible. Bearing mind I'm very new to this is here somewhere I
    can see an example of this?

    Cheers

    stew dean, Mar 1, 2007
  4. You can still run perl on a windows box, and even get IIS to use perl to
    process web scripts. Go to ActiveState.com and you can get a download that
    will do all the configuration for you

    Rad [Visual C# MVP], Mar 3, 2007