Reportviewer Local Mode

Madison

Hi there,

I'm working with web site project using vs 2005. I wonder should I use
reportviewer local mode to write all my reports. What is advanced /
disadvanced of it? I have 3-4 books about asp.net but nothing mention about
the reportviewer control. If any of you can point me to some web site that
have samples it would be appreciated.
Thanks.

ps - my reports are depending on criterial which users selected.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Madison,

For vs 2005 reportviewer control, it support both clientreport and server
report. Here are some of the difference and comments I can summarize:

**server report means the report the completely hosted on the SQL server
reporting service, you can develop the report through those SQL Server
2005's BI studio report projects and then deploy them onto reportserver.
The advantage is that you can adopt those powerful settings and
services(such as security ..) of the report services. Of course, you'll
need a SQL server license here:)

** For Client report, you no longer need a SQL Server(license) since all
the stuff are done within VS 2005. You author the report in VS 2005 and
configure reportviewer directly use the client report file(RDLC file). And
the datasource is also programmatic datasource (different from the
datasource for server report). Surely, the design surface will be somewhat
limited compared to SQL server reporting service server report. However,
you no longer need a SQL server now.

Here are some web resources on the VS 2005 reportviewer control:

#The New ReportViewer Control in Visual Studio 2005 Provides Rich
Capabilities to Fulfill All Your Reporting Needs
http://steveorr.net/articles/ReportViewer.aspx

#Using the ASP.NET 2.0 ReportViewer in Local Mode
http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/ReportViewer.asp?select=2248811&df=100&for
umid=341063&exp=0

#Building Report-enabled Applications with the New ReportViewer Controls
(Part 2 of 2)
http://www.devx.com/dotnet/article/30610/1954

And you can also convert the SQL Server reporting service report(rdl file)
to client report RDLC file:

#Converting RDL and RDLC Files
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms252109(vs.80).aspx

Hope this helps some. If you have any further questions on this, please
feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

--------------------

Madison

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your reply. I just browse some of your recommend links, it's
very helpful. I will stay with reportviewer for client only even we have SQL
Server for our database.
Do I need to do something different for deploy in web production server?

Thanks.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Madison,

I'm glad to be of assistance. For the following question:
Do I need to do something different for deploy in web production server?
<<<<<<

do you mean anything worth care when deploy ASP.NET site with reportviewer
client reports? If so, I think there hasn't much different from an normal
ASP.NET application. For reportviewer and the client report, just make sure
the following things:

** rdlc file is correctly deployed to the target place so that it is
accessible
** any of the datasource (used by your report) also accessible after you
deployed the application
** If you've used custom assemblies, the deployment of the custom
assemblies is also worth care

Anyway, welcome to post here if you have any further questions.

From: =?Utf-8?B?TWFkaXNvbg==?= <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Reportviewer Local Mode
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 06:37:00 -0700

Madison

Hi Steven,
I'm working thru creating reportviewer local mode now. It comes to my
attention that the reports have similarity function to Access database
report. How do I tell the page that I want to print only the report not the
other fields on the page? I still have some troublems with report layout
could you recommend web site about the tricks and tips reportviewer?
Thanks.

Madison

Hi Steven,
I'm reading about webform reportviewer local mode and just find out that I
cannot print report like winform. Is is true that I cannot print report or
preview for asp.net application? What is the point to use reportviewer if you
cannot print the report? Do you have any recommendation about how to handle
it? I'm used vb for coding.
Thanks.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Madison,

Thanks for your reply.

For the printing question you mentioned, it does be an limitation of the
client mode report. So far the webform reportviewer control only support
printing for server report( a report from SQL Server server-side reporting
service). However, for client report, you can use code to programmtically
render out them(as TIFF image stream) and flush into a separate page(a
printing dedicated page) so as to let the user print. Here are some web
articles mentioned on this:

#VS2005 Web ReportViewer client browser printing
http://forums.asp.net/p/1059619/1522215.aspx#1522215

#Re: print option in ReportViewer control in local processing mode
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=520503&SiteID=1

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

--------------------

Madison

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your reply.

I try to follow the coding
http://forums.asp.net/p/1059619/1522215.aspx#1522215
I don't know or understand how the coding working. Is it working for web
application or window application?

I can tell my users to handle with export to PDF/Excel first, then print the
PDF/Excel file locally and I may go with it. I have tried it on my machine
but not on the web server I'm not sure it will work with web server.

The PDF looking good but how I dynamic set margin and change the font? I
have extra white page for each report, how do I fix it? I thought it may be
from the report layout but the table width only 6in wide.

I'm very appreciate your help. Sincerely.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Madison,

Well, let me explain the mechanism a little further:

Webform ReportViewer class use a "LocalReport" class to represent a local
report's instance in runtime memory, it has the following render method
which can help you manually perform render task(by supplying mime, layout,
or other formatting info) and finally get the rendered binary content of
the report in a "Stream" object or byte[] array, see the following MSDN
reference:

#LocalReport.Render Method
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.reporting.webforms.localr
eport.render(VS.80).aspx

you can find that the method contains several paramters:

=======the one you'll need to set format=======
**format
The format in which to render the report. This argument maps to a rendering
extension. Only the EXCEL format is supported in this release.

**deviceInfo
An XML string that contains the device-specific content that is required by
the rendering extension specified in the format parameter. For more
information about device information settings for specific output formats,
see "Device Informatio
===============

I would choose another two articles here which dedicated on webform
reportviewr's custom rendering&printing:

https://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1781049&SiteID=1

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=240094&SiteID=1

In one of the example, it render the report as "PDF" or "IMF" image
format(hold in a stream object or byte[] array) and print it through
server-side printer. For your scenario, if your client user want to print
the report, you need to render the binary content out in browser and let
the user print that page which display the content(pdf or IMF image). The
"walkthrough" one in the above articles demonstrate this.

If you still have any questions on this, welcome to post here.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

--------------------

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Madison,

How are you doing?

Does the further explanation help some? If there is anything else you
wonder, please feel free to post here.

-------------

From: =?Utf-8?B?TWFkaXNvbg==?= <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 15:17:01 -0700

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your reply.

I try to follow the coding
http://forums.asp.net/p/1059619/1522215.aspx#1522215
I don't know or understand how the coding working. Is it working for web
application or window application?

I can tell my users to handle with export to PDF/Excel first, then print the
PDF/Excel file locally and I may go with it. I have tried it on my machine
but not on the web server I'm not sure it will work with web server.

The PDF looking good but how I dynamic set margin and change the font? I
have extra white page for each report, how do I fix it? I thought it may be
from the report layout but the table width only 6in wide.

I'm very appreciate your help. Sincerely.

Madison

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your follow up.
I just try to compile and move the code to staging server. When I try to run
it give the error message say:
An error occurred during local report processing.
The definition of the report 'Main Report' is invalid.
The report definition is not valid. Details: Data at the root level is
invalid. Line 1, position 1.

It did not give me any problems when I ran from my machine. Do I have to
change any web.config or install ReportViewer.exe?

Thanks.

From: =?Utf-8?B?TWFkaXNvbg==?= <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 15:17:01 -0700

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your reply.

I try to follow the coding
http://forums.asp.net/p/1059619/1522215.aspx#1522215
I don't know or understand how the coding working. Is it working for web
application or window application?

I can tell my users to handle with export to PDF/Excel first, then print the
PDF/Excel file locally and I may go with it. I have tried it on my machine
but not on the web server I'm not sure it will work with web server.

The PDF looking good but how I dynamic set margin and change the font? I
have extra white page for each report, how do I fix it? I thought it may be
from the report layout but the table width only 6in wide.

I'm very appreciate your help. Sincerely.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Madison,

Since it works on development machine, should be a problem due to
deployment environment. If it only have .net framework 2.0 installed(but
not visual studio 2005), you need to run the Reportviewer.exe
redistributable package. ReportViewer component(assemblies) are not by
default included in .net framework. see the following msdn reference:

#Deploying Reports and ReportViewer Controls
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms251723(VS.80).aspx

From: =?Utf-8?B?TWFkaXNvbg==?= <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 15:17:01 -0700

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your reply.

I try to follow the coding
http://forums.asp.net/p/1059619/1522215.aspx#1522215
I don't know or understand how the coding working. Is it working for web
application or window application?

I can tell my users to handle with export to PDF/Excel first, then print
the
PDF/Excel file locally and I may go with it. I have tried it on my machine
but not on the web server I'm not sure it will work with web server.

The PDF looking good but how I dynamic set margin and change the font? I
have extra white page for each report, how do I fix it? I thought it may
be
from the report layout but the table width only 6in wide.

I'm very appreciate your help. Sincerely.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Madison,

Have you resolved the problem? If there is still anything we can help,
please don't hesitate to post here.

From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:36:39 GMT

Madison

Hi Steven,

Thanks for follow up.
I haven't try to put report to web production server yet. I have to talk
with our network person to install ReportViewer.exe on web server.
I'm very appreciate with your help. The next step, I wil try to put report
to word document. Can I do that with word document?
Thanks.

Madison

Hi Steven,

I just finished install Reportviewer.exe in staging machine and compiled my
web appliction. When I try to run the application with reportviewer I got the
message say

Server Error in '/Mywebserver' Application.

The report definition is not valid. Details: Data at the root level is
invalid. Line 1, position 1.

Exception Details:
Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.ReportProcessingException: The
report definition is not valid. Details: Data at the root level is invalid.
Line 1, position 1.

The application ran fine in my development machine before I compiled.

Thanks for your help.

PS. As I mention about reportviewer print to word document. I figure out
that they do not work for word or do they? Will microsoft have this add in
for next release?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Madison,

How are you doing?

As you mentioned the error still occur after you've install the
reportviewer.exe control, correct? I suggest you first open the GAC(check
the "c:\windows\assembly" folder) and verify that the reportviewr related
assemblies are in it.

I've also searched some former issue and one existing problem is due to the
VS 2005 web publishing function. So are you using the "Publish WebSite"
function in VS 2005 to publish the application to IIS server? If so, it may
has alter the RDLC file of the client report. You can open the two files(on
dev box and the one in published app folder) to see whether they're
identical or you can manually copy the rdlc from dev box again to product
server to see whether it helps.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

--------------------

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Madison,

Any update on this issue?

From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 03:02:35 GMT

Madison

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your follow up.
I found some article about reportviewer that you can references
ReportViewer.Common.dll
ReportViewer.WebForms.dll
ReportViewer.ProcessingObjectModel
and put dll in the bin folder then you will be fine. I may try this solution.
I did used "Publish WebSite" function in vs 2005 and un-check for all 3
options. I must go with this otherwise I will have some problems with our 3
party use by this application. Now I can not make any changes for content in
aspx page any more because the compiled aspx just marker file generated. I'm
struggling to go back using web application project (old way as framework 1)
then I don't have to worry copy RDLC files and I can change any contents in
web page. I spent about of time working in this project which is deadtime in
this December. I thought I knew enough asp.net but I don't now.

Thanks.

From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 03:02:35 GMT
[...]

Glad to hear from you and your progress. For the web application
publishing, are you using the "non-updatable" option? If so, the compiler
will compile both aspx template and codebehind code into assembly(that may
cause you not be able to modify the aspx file after publishing).

Anyway, please feel free to post here as long as you need help.