Representing a Tree in Python

godshorse

Hello,

I want to find out the shortest path tree from a root to several nodes
in a graph data structure. I found a Dijkstra code from internet that
finds shortest path between only two nodes. How can i extend it to a
tree?. And what is the best way to represent a tree in Python?.

Thank you,

CTO

Hello,

I want to find out the shortest path tree from a root to several nodes
in a graph data structure. I found a Dijkstra code from internet that
finds shortest path between only two nodes. How can i extend it to a
tree?. And what is the best way to represent a tree in Python?.

Thank you,
.... g.add_node(i)
And to find the shortest path between, say, node 0 and node 4:
start = g[0]
end = g[4]
distance, edges = g.get_shortest_paths(start)[end]
distance 2
edges
[Edge(name=(0,1)), Edge(name=(1,4))]

Let me know what you think if you decide to use it- I'm looking for
feedback.

Geremy Condra

godshorse

I want to find out the shortest path tree from a root to several nodes
in a graph data structure. I found a Dijkstra code from internet that
finds shortest path between only two nodes. How can i extend it to a
tree?. And what is the best way to represent a tree in Python?.
Thank you,

...     g.add_node(i)

And to find the shortest path between, say, node 0 and node 4:
start = g[0]
end = g[4]
distance, edges = g.get_shortest_paths(start)[end]
distance 2
edges

[Edge(name=(0,1)), Edge(name=(1,4))]

Let me know what you think if you decide to use it- I'm looking for
feedback.

Geremy Condra

Thanks very much for your reply Geremy. That site was interesting.

Actually the Graph building part is already completed now. I used a
dictionary for that and it works fine. for Dijkstra shortest path
problem your suggestion can be used.

But let me clear the my problem again. I have a graph. and I want to
find 'shortest path tree' from a root node to several nodes. as a
example if we have a graph of 5 nodes from 1 to 5, I need to build the
shortest path tree from node 1 to nodes 2,3,5. So my question is
instead of keeping separate lists for each destination node's shortest
path. How can I represent and store them in a tree structure using
python. Then I can easily find out what are the common nodes in the
path to each destination.

Thanks once again.

CTO

But let me clear the my problem again. I have a graph. and I want to
find 'shortest path tree' from a root node to several nodes. as a
example if we have a graph of 5 nodes from 1 to 5, I need to build the
shortest path tree from node 1 to nodes 2,3,5. So my question is
instead of keeping separate lists for each destination node's shortest
path. How can I represent and store them in a tree structure using
python. Then I can easily find out what are the common nodes in the
path to each destination.

A tree is just a connected acyclic rooted graph, so however you're
representing graphs should be a perfectly natural representation for
your shortest paths tree. In effect, you just treat the shortest
paths operation as an subgraph operation which only preserves the
edges that are part of a shortest path.

Geremy Condra

Jaime Fernandez del Rio

Dijkstra's algorithm computes shortest paths between a node and _ALL_
other nodes in the graph. It is usually stopped once computing the
shortest path to the target node is done, but that's simply for
efficiency, not a limitation of the algorithm. So you should be able
to tweak the code you are using so that it provides you with all you
are looking for. I'd be surprised if graphine (which, by the way,
looks great, CTO) or any other graph package didn't implement it, so
switching to that may be the most efficient thing to do.

On the other hand, if you want to post your code and links to the
Dijkstra code you are using it may be possible to help you with the
tweaking...

Jaime

I want to find out the shortest path tree from a root to several nodes
in a graph data structure. I found a Dijkstra code from internet that
finds shortest path between only two nodes. How can i extend it to a
tree?. And what is the best way to represent a tree in Python?.
Thank you,

from graph.base import Graph
g = Graph()
for i in range(5):

...     g.add_node(i)
g.add_edge(0, 1)
g.add_edge(0, 2)
g.add_edge(1, 3)
g.add_edge(1, 4)

[...]

Well, I'm biased, but I like <URL:http://graphine.org>.
As an example, to build a five node tree:

--
(\__/)
( o_O)

Hello Jaime,

Thanks for the reply.

This is the link to the code that I am using. http://code.activestate.com/recipes/119466/
What I do in my code is just looping through the destination nodes and
find the shortest path to each node.

Thanks

Piet van Oostrum

godshorse said:
g> Hello,
g> I want to find out the shortest path tree from a root to several nodes
g> in a graph data structure. I found a Dijkstra code from internet that
g> finds shortest path between only two nodes. How can i extend it to a
g> tree?. And what is the best way to represent a tree in Python?.

http://networkx.lanl.gov/ has all kinds of Dijkstra's algorithms.

CTO

godshorse, you may use the "shortestPaths" method of this graph class
of mine:http://sourceforge.net/projects/pynetwork/

(It uses the same Dijkstra code by Eppstein).
(Once you have all distances from a node to the other ones, it's not
too much difficult to find the tree you talk about).

Also see the Minimum spanning tree:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_spanning_tree

Bye,
bearophile

Let me add a caution to what bearophile says here- a minimum spanning
tree minimizes
the weight of the *whole tree*, not the individual paths in that tree,
which seems
to be what you're going after. Those can be pretty different things.

Geremy Condra

Jaime Fernandez del Rio

If you run Dijkstra without a third argument, i.e. without an end
node, the it will compute the shortest paths from your start node to
all nodes in the tree. So by doing something like:

start_node = 1
end_nodes = [2,3,5]

D, P = Dijkstra(G, start_node)

You will then have in D a dictionary with distances to all nodes, and
in P a dictionary of preceding nodes along the shortest path for each
node. You could tweak the Dijkstra function so that it stops when the
minimum distances to all elements of end_nodes have been calculated,
without having to solve for the whole graph...

Apart from that, how you want to store the shortest path information
is up to you, but if you stick to the "graph as a dictionary of
dictionaries" you can construct the subgraph that contains only the
nodes in the shortest paths between the start and the end nodes with
code like this one:

shortest_tree = {}
current_layer = end_nodes
while current_layer != [start_node] :
new_layer = set()
for node in current_layer :
new_node = P[node]
if new_node in shortest_tree :
if node not in shortest_tree[new_node] :
shortest_tree[new_node][node] = G[new_node][node]
else :
shodtest_tree[new_node] = {}
shortest_tree[new_node][node] = G[new_node][node]
new_layer.add(new_node)
current_layer = [j for j in new_layer]

I haven't tested the code, and there may be more efficient ways of
achieving the same, though...

Jaime

[...]

Albert van der Horst

Thanks very much for your reply Geremy. That site was interesting.

Actually the Graph building part is already completed now. I used a
dictionary for that and it works fine. for Dijkstra shortest path
problem your suggestion can be used.

But let me clear the my problem again. I have a graph. and I want to
find 'shortest path tree' from a root node to several nodes. as a
example if we have a graph of 5 nodes from 1 to 5, I need to build the
shortest path tree from node 1 to nodes 2,3,5. So my question is
instead of keeping separate lists for each destination node's shortest
path. How can I represent and store them in a tree structure using
python. Then I can easily find out what are the common nodes in the
path to each destination.

If I understand correctly, you want to know the path given
the end-node. Common sense dictates that you use back links
if that has to be done with decent efficiency.
The back links can be added as part of the algorithm.
Thanks once again.

Groetjes Albert