Reset Password. Please, need Help. Thank You.

shapper

Hello,

I placed a textbox in a web page where I ask the user for its email.

Now I need to reset its password and get the user profile for the given
email if it exists.

How can I do this?

A side question:

Is it possible to check if there is already a user with a given
email when I am adding a new user to my database using membership?

I want the users emails to be unique. I don't want two users with
the same email.

Thanks,

Miguel

James

What type of database? If 100% uniqueness and you will NEVER need
duplicates for any reason, you can set that constraint in your database.
Yes, of course you can check that, and should...even if you set the
constraint making it impossible to duplicate.

shapper

James said:
What type of database? If 100% uniqueness and you will NEVER need
duplicates for any reason, you can set that constraint in your database.

I think the type of database is not important in this case.
I am using Asp.Net 2.0 membership.

Anyway, maybe I am wrong. I am using SQL 2005

James

It's fairly relevant. Why not just build a query, based on your table
structure (through stored procedure most likely), to see if the email
address exists?

shapper

James said:
It's fairly relevant. Why not just build a query, based on your table
structure (through stored procedure most likely), to see if the email
address exists?

Maybe I am not explaining it right.
I am using the predefined tables of Asp.Net 2.0 / SQL 2005 membership.

In my Web.Config, under membership provider, I have:
.... requiresUniqueEmail="true"...

Now using the membership class I need to reset the password for a given
email and also get the profile for the given email.