response.flush and AJAX

asleepatdesk

I am still maintaining/developing a classic ASP application. I have
recently built into the app architecture AJAX functionality which
works pretty well.

The issue: a client wants a report built which could potentilly be
huge, up to 5000 rows. My plan is to get the data via an ASP script
and response.flush back a delimited string of data (every 100 rows)
be formatted into html by the javascript and displayed in order to
avoid the appearance of application inactivity to the user.

The problem: I cannot seem to get the data flushed back every 100
rows
- it seems to simply do a dump once the entire delimited string is
compiled. I have done flushes the old way without AJAX and it works
fine.

Does anyone know of any limitations when flushing the buffer via
AJAX?

BTW, I am aware of the <table> tag limitation with response.flush so
that is not the problem.

Anthony Jones

asleepatdesk said:
[...]

I haven't tested on other browsers but in IE which uses MSXML there is no
way to get at any of the response until all the response has been received.

The only component I know of that may enable this is WinHTTP. However I
wouldn't recommend it. Instead you should consider re-designing to allow
report results to be fetched in chunks with multiple requests.