Response.Redirect from User Control Page_Load

Guest

I have a Session variable I need to check the value of. If it is value a then
redirect to some page. I need to implement this in a user control that is on
all the relevent pages.

I placed the if and redirect statement within the page_load of the user
control. However, when you try to access any page that has the user control
it simply loads for minutes and never actually redirects.

What am I missing with executing the response.redirect from a user control's
page_load event? The user control is a simple table and a few public
properties that build a page header.

Should I be placing this code somewhere else. I thought about writing a base
class for the page object and overriding one of the events to see if it
eleviates the problem.

Any ideas and suggestions appreciated in advance.

Marty U.

Kevin Spencer

Have you checked the spelling of the URL you're redirecting to?

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Guest

I am really getting tired since I have been programming since 6 a.m. EST.
However, I did do some further tests. First I wrote an assembly and executing
the object from there.

Same result. Upon your message I figured I would try things once again.

So I started trying different url formats and actually got a different result.

Response.Redirect("mypage.aspx"); //Simply appears to timeout
" ("/mypage.aspx"); //not found--site root--not app
root
" ("/appname/mypage.aspx"); //same as first
" ("~/mypage.aspx"); //same as first
" ("./mypage.aspx"); //same as first

I maybe just too tired to focus but why will this not work? This is in the
page_load of a user control that is placed after the form tag in each of the
pages in the application. Response.Write works fine so something with the
redirect method is causing the problem.

Thanks

Kevin Spencer

Are you sure there isn't a problem with the page you're trying to redirect
to? It sounds like it's processing, and never finishing.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Guest

As I started to write this I discovered that the same user control is being
used on the page I am redirecting to so guess what? It just keeps redirecting
to itself.

Wow, I have spent way too much time on something so simple.

Thanks for the input.