restrict access to webservices

Tommy100

Hi,
I'd like to restrict access to webservices. We are having Sharepoint
Portal running on Windows Server 2003 and several asp.net-Webservices.
We would like only the Sharepoint-Webparts to be allowed to call the
webservices (in a first step), clients should not be allowed to call
the webservices directly.
What's the best way to achieve?
Thanks a lot in advance!
Thomas

Josh Twist

Assuming that Sharepoint web-parts are 'server' based (i.e. the request
to the web service comes from the Web Server running Sharepoint not the
client's browser) then you have a couple of options:

1. Use IIS - either restrict the IPs that can access your web service's
application or use Windows Authentication and only allow the user that
sharepoint runs under (assuming that isn't running under the end-user,
obviously).
2. Use WSE
http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/webservices/building/wse/default.aspx
(or your own Soap Headers) to require a username/password. You'll have
to include this in the requests from the web parts somehow.

Hope that helps - let me know if I'm way off target here.

Josh
http://www.thejoyofcode.com/