Restrict pages

David Thielen

8. I want to set the system so authenticated users who are not a member of
one Role/Group can only get to 3 pages. And that users who are not a member
of the admin role/group cannot get to the admin page and the admin menu tab
does not show. What is the best way to do this – where I may be using windows
authentication (so it’s Active Directory groups) and I may be using
AspNetSqlMembershipProvider.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Dave,

As for the setting authorization restriction for individual or certain
group of pages, you can consider using the <location> configuration element
which can help configure some particular settings for a certain path (such
as individual page or a certain sub directory). Also, if a certain set of
pages (which need the same authorization protection) are in the same sub
directory, you can also use a sub web.config in that directory to set the
<authorization> rules:

#How to: Configure Specific Directories Using Location Settings

Also, for windows or SQL authentication, we would have to configure
different authorization settings for them. For custom sqlmembership Role or
windows AD user groups.

As for SqlMembershipUser or Windows AD users, they'll have different
roles(AD groups), you'll need to configure the correct roles in the
<authorization> rules according to which Memership/Role service you're
using.

In addition, as for the
===============
and the admin menu tab
does not show.
==================

I remember that the default XMLSiteMapProvider support configuring
sitemapNode to set protection on roles(this setting need to be identical to
the authorization rules set in the <authorization> section.

#Securing ASP.NET Site Navigation

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steven Cheng