Retrieving a partial pickle

Zac Burns

I have a large pickle file, which happens to be a list with lots of
objects in it.

What sort of things can I do without unpickling the whole object?

I would particularly like to retrieve one of the elements in the list
without unpicking the whole object.

If the answer is not specific to lists that would be useful (works on
getting items in a dictionary, or doing introspection on the objects
or whatever)

--
Zachary Burns
(407)590-4814

Paul Rubin

Zac Burns said:
I have a large pickle file, which happens to be a list with lots of
objects in it.
What sort of things can I do without unpickling the whole object?

If it's for some kind of data recovery of a busted file, you could
code some awful hack to pull stuff out of the middle of the pickle,
but that's not the idea. You may want the shelve module.