Returnable - Spawning javascript code with just a simple html API

Bhasker V Kode

Hi,

I just wanted to share with everyone a new project that i'm launching
today called the Returnable Project ( http://returnable.org )

Returnable serves as a open-platform architectural guide to advance
the use of the URL as a DSL for specifying 3 traits : content,its
delivery ,and its behaviour on the web through the use of Returnable
elements embedded within web pages .

It's a personal project but quite a bit of javascript ,php ,url
rewrite ,regex and css hacking spread over a few months of research
and prototypes .

You could call it a way to create events using html as the API,if you
have the initial script added to the DOM.here is a simple example .

step1: add the script
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://returnable.org/returnable-
core.js"></script>

step2: add a returnable elements
tooltip.text/this is somethin/'>Hover over this for a cool tooltip</
returnable>
tooltip.text/this is somethin/'>Hover over this for a cool tooltip</
returnable>

=> thats it ! ... some of the afvantages are that u can have line
breaks, future version will also have html. With this architecture in
place, the simple text can be replaced with content from another
source.

This is a proof of concept. It can be particularly used by bloggers
who need'nt code . just give the corresponing html . as of the launch
today ,only tooltip return types exists. others to be added are -
alerts , widgets,maps and so on.

This may appeal to web developers and bloggers . It's a framework to
add simple event driven programming for those who dont want to type
code. But powerful all the same because of the DSL and API.

For bloggers who are looking for an easy way to have tooltips (in
javascript enabled blogs) ,this could nbe a great utility. You can go
through the site to see demos on how to create intuitive tooltips (and
more apps coming soon) with just one line of code (apart from the
script node to be added initially )

I finally have the working prototypes ,and the project website website
on sourceforge,as well as the official website (returnable.org)
running since then. I plan to add support for storage of tooltips on
the server , new returnable types like widgets, maps , and so on which
will be much easier now that the main architecture is working across
browsers 8 )

Official website
http://returnble.org

My blog post announcement
http://bosky101.blogspot.com/2007/05/introducing-returnable-project.html

sourceforge project
http://sourceforge.net/projects/returnable/ .

Keep Clicking,

Bhasker V Kode
Lead Architect, The Returnable Project
kode at returnable.org

-Lost

Bhasker said:
I just wanted to share with everyone a new project that i'm launching
today called the Returnable Project ( http://returnable.org )

<snip regression>

Um, I am no expert, but this seems like a step in the wrong direction.
Despite the fact that most would really like to validate their markup,
adding all of those nonsensical tags clutters the document.

I would hate to see what happens when the majority of UAs, and reader
devices get a hold of that tag soup.

Not to mention, what happens when JavaScript is not enabled? Your
entire website becomes useless. Unless of course you have some method
of making onclick.sub.domain.xxx without screwing with the server itself.

Bhasker V Kode

Despite the fact that most would really like to validate their markup,
adding all of those nonsensical tags clutters the document.
I would hate to see what happens when the majority of UAs, and reader
devices get a hold of that tag soup.

Not to mention, what happens when JavaScript is not enabled? Your
entire website becomes useless. Unless of course you have some method
of making onclick.sub.domain.xxx without screwing with the server itself.

Hi,
Thanks for highlighting the need for supporting "javascript being
disabled".

A new announcement . I've now added html support for returnable. Which
now means that the tooltips can now render html as well. Do check it
out at http://returnable.org

kode at returnable.org