RFC: CPAN module for blocking open proxy requests

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

[ also posted to PerlMonks/Meditations ]

I have uploaded HTTP::proxyTest to CPAN.
http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?HTTP::ProxyTest

<quote README>
Robots that send comment spam are often hidden behind anonymous open
proxy servers. You can use HTTP::proxyTest to look for open proxies
on-the-fly and prevent such spam robots from submitting their crap. The
module is particularly useful if you don't want to bother your web site
visitors with CAPTCHAs etc.

HTTP::proxyTest tests certain ports of REMOTE_ADDR that are often used
for anonymous open proxies, and denies access if an open proxy is found,
i.e. it responds with status "403 Forbidden" and exits.
</quote README>

I have been using that approach to fighting comment spam for more than a
year, and it has proved to work well.
http://groups.google.se/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/msg/08ed3e1a2cc3f15b

Your comments on both the usefulness of HTTP::proxyTest and the code
would be much welcome. Since the module source is conveniently available
at CPAN, I did not post it here.

GenesisGai