RSS newsfeed

Dennis Allen

Hi. I'm new to this newsgroup, hope someone here can help. I wrote a
simple ASP that reads various newsfeeds for my local astronomy club. See
http://www.wmich-astro.org, on left frame click [news links].

Problem. Sometimes when I execute my script, I get:

msxml3.dll error '800c0005'
The system cannot locate the resource specified
mas/asp/astrowire2.asp, line 51

I use the following script code:

<%@ language="javascript" %>
..
..
//
function xml_load(src) {
var xmlDoc = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
var xmlhttp = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
xmlhttp.open("GET",src,false)
xmlhttp.send()
xmlDoc = xmlhttp.responseXML
if (typeof(xmlDoc) != "object" ||
xmlhttp.GetResponseHeader("Content-Type") != "text/xml") {
var szResponse = xmlhttp.responseText
xmlDoc.loadXML(szResponse)
}
if (typeof(xmlDoc) != "object") return 'no object defined'
if (xmlDoc.parseError.errorCode != 0) {
var x = ''
// x += 'Error in File: ' + xmlDoc.parseError.url + '<br>'
x += 'Error in File: ' + src + '<br>'
x += 'Error on Line: ' + xmlDoc.parseError.line + '<br>'
x += 'Error Code : ' + xmlDoc.parseError.errorCode + '<br>'
x += 'Error Reason : ' + xmlDoc.parseError.reason
return x
}
return xmlDoc
}

The xmlhttp.send is line 51. If I use the browser's refresh (several
times) I can sometimes get it to work. I wish I could trap and correct
for this error. Is this a firewall problem? Is there anything the
person who runs the server can do? Any help would be greatly
appreciated...Dennis

Dennis Allen

Hi. I googled this problem, few hits. People suspect it's a firewall
problem. Perhaps the browser is not releasing variables. I tried to
clean up my function, but still get the error and need to refresh once
in a while. I'd like to release memory variables, but that should be
already done in javascript.

//
function xml_load(src) {
var xmlhttp = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
xmlhttp.open("GET",src,false)
xmlhttp.send()
var xmlDoc = xmlhttp.responseXML
if (xmlhttp.GetResponseHeader("Content-Type") != "text/xml") {
var szResponse = xmlhttp.responseText
xmlDoc = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
if (typeof(xmlDoc) == "object") xmlDoc.loadXML(szResponse)
}
if (typeof(xmlDoc) != "object") return 'no object defined'
if (xmlDoc.parseError.errorCode != 0) {
var x = ''
// x += 'Error in File: ' + xmlDoc.parseError.url + '<br>'
x += 'Error in File: ' + src + '<br>'
x += 'Error on Line: ' + xmlDoc.parseError.line + '<br>'
x += 'Error Code : ' + xmlDoc.parseError.errorCode + '<br>'
x += 'Error Reason : ' + xmlDoc.parseError.reason
return x
}
return xmlDoc

bregent

Sorry I cannot help Dennis, but are you willing to include all of your rss code
so that I can use it in one of my sites? I may be able to help you troubleshoot
your problem too.

bregent

Dennis, thanks very much. I'll give it a try in the next few days and get back
to you.

Thanks for the offer. Just came back. Everything seems to be working
now, so I don't know if it's a problem on my end or the server. If
you're still interested, I've attached my rss reader script. Call
astrowire.asp?1 for the NASA watch feed, astrowire2.asp?2 for Mars
today, etc.

If you find something wrong, please let me know...Dennis

Dennis Allen said:
Hi. I'm new to this newsgroup, hope someone here can help. I wrote a
simple ASP that reads various newsfeeds for my local astronomy club.
See
http://www.wmich-astro.org, on left frame click [news links].

Problem. Sometimes when I execute my script, I get:

msxml3.dll error '800c0005'
The system cannot locate the resource specified
mas/asp/astrowire2.asp, line 51

I use the following script code:

<%@ language="javascript" %>
.