Ruby 1.9 one-click installer - or at least stable binary for windows?

Aldric Giacomoni

I read from the official Ruby 1.9.1 thread that none of the devs use
Windows, so it's not a priority.. I am sadfaced but I will wait
stoically. Is the Preview Binary "just as good" as the 1.9.1 official
release? I would like to start testing out the much touted efficiency
improvements.. Do we have a ballpark ETA for a Windows-friendly release?

Thanks,

--Aldric

Luis Lavena

I read from the official Ruby 1.9.1 thread that none of the devs use
Windows, so it's not a priority.. I am sadfaced but I will wait
stoically. Is the Preview Binary "just as good" as the 1.9.1 official
release? I would like to start testing out the much touted efficiency
improvements.. Do we have a ballpark ETA for a Windows-friendly release?

Hello Aldric

This has been commented, replied and exposed several times:

1) There will not be a One-Click Installer in the same shape that you
know for 1.9.1

I've exposed the reasons behind it several times here and in
rubyinstaller-devel and user list.

2) I decided to wait for 1.9.1 to have a stable and less fluctuating
working base as 1.9 target

RubyInstaller will target both 1.8.6 and 1.9.1 release

3) ballpark for a beta was estimated for mid-february, I'm writing
about the rewrite progress in my blog[1]

This got pushed by daily work, but contributions are always welcome.

4) I believe people should start caring[2]

If don't bother get your hands dirty, help out or go for the garbage
collect builds[3]
(and don't forget to download the related and needed stuff from there)

Regards,
--
Luis Lavena

[1] http://blog.mmediasys.com
[2] http://lwn.net/Articles/307732/
[3] http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/

Aldric Giacomoni

Luis said:
[...]

Thank you Luis - I'm still very new to reading newsgroups and I'm using
Thunderbird as newsreader, so I lost track of the Ruby 1.9.1 thread, it
got too big for me. I'll go and read :)

--Aldric