    can I somehow make ruby treat all files by default as utf-8? If I can,
    does the change of default encoding from US-ASCII to UTF-8 make my
    programs much slower?

    Petri Kivikangas, Dec 19, 2009

  2. No, you can't override the source encoding. You can use flags to set
    the default internal / external encodings via locale (or flag), and
    ruby -e will use your locale as the source encoding, but last I
    checked, you need the magic comments to determine source encoding.

    The main reason here is for portability. Otherwise, you could easily
    (by accident) write Ruby programs that only run in your environment.

    -greg

    Gregory Brown, Dec 19, 2009

  3.
    Gregory Brown, Dec 19, 2009