    don't like the idea of editing them all.

    by
    TheR

    Damjan Rems, Mar 27, 2009

  2. -Ku does this but it's not recommendable. If your code needs to run
    on any other computers, it would need to be run with this flag.
    The source encoding magic comments are just a reality of Ruby 1.9
    based development, and it seems that your problem could be solved by
    better settings in your editor to automatically add this line for you.

    -greg

    foo.rb:

    p __ENCODING__

    $ ruby19 foo.rb
    #<Encoding:US-ASCII>
    $ ruby19 -Ku foo.rb
    #<Encoding:UTF-8>

    -greg

    Gregory Brown, Mar 27, 2009

  3. You should get to like it. It's only *1* line per file. Image that
    someone with differencts locale wants to use your file. He shoulnd't
    care what encoding did you use.

    If you are too lazy to write it by habd you can write some script
    which do that for you ;).

    --=20
    Pozdrawiam

    Rados=B3aw Bu=B3at
    http://radarek.jogger.pl - m=F3j blog

    Rados³aw Bu³at, Mar 27, 2009
  4. Damjan Rems

    Damjan Rems Guest

    Yeah. But it kind-a iratete me since I haven't seen this in all those
    what is different in ruby 1.9 since 1.8.6 documents I have been reading.
    It was not even trivial to find the solution.

    It's my first day and I was suppose to love it. But almost none of my
    programs work as before.

    I have just realized that reading file takes about 50x times more on my
    Vista then in 1.8.6. (on XP also). Lets go bug reporting.

    by
    TheR

    Damjan Rems, Mar 27, 2009
  5. Why do you expect they should? Ruby 1.9 represents a completely new
    generation of Ruby, and had a whole year of a 'testing period' before
    it's first stable release. If you don't pay attention to what's
    going on, and then expect something to 'just work', you're asking for
    trouble. That said, although there are minor tweaks that need to be
    made to most Ruby 1.8 based software, it's normally a quick process to
    get things running on Ruby 1.9.

    -greg

    Gregory Brown, Mar 27, 2009
  6. Damjan Rems

    James Gray Guest

    I've been working on character encoding documentation for both Ruby =20
    1.8 and Ruby 1.9 on my blog:

    http://blog.grayproductions.net/articles/understanding_m17n

    I haven't got to the 1.9 stuff yet, but I promise it's coming=85

    James Edward Gray II=

    James Gray, Mar 27, 2009