Ruby and C++ exe

George Thomas

Hi,

I am new to Ruby , but have a few years of experience in C++.

My requirement is to create automated test (scripts) that will do the
testing (mainly acceptance test) of our application (an Exe project
created on C++). I intend to use Ruby for the automated test.

My concerns are as follows.

How can Ruby connect to my application (exe project on C++). Do I
require to have a COM interface exposed from my exe application so that
Ruby can call the interface methods from out of process and execute the
test?
Are there any easier alternatives?

Please advice.

Regards,
George

Kevin Jackson

Hi,
I am new to Ruby , but have =A0a few years of experience in C++.

My requirement is to create automated test (scripts) =A0that will do the
testing (mainly acceptance test) =A0of our application (an Exe project
created on C++). =A0I intend to use Ruby for the automated test.

My concerns are as follows.

How can Ruby connect to my application (exe project on C++). Do I
require to have a COM interface exposed from my exe application so that
Ruby can call the interface methods from out of process and execute the
test?
Are there any easier =A0alternatives?

http://www.swig.org/

Try this
Kev

Jason Roelofs

And as an (IMO) tons nicer alternative to SWIG, please give Rice a try:
http://github.com/cout/rice

Of course, these might be mis-reading your initial question. Are you talking
about connecting Ruby to an already running process and running tests on
said process? If so, there might be some stuff in the win32- gems but I've
never done this specifically so I'm not sure.

Jason

Michael Linfield

My requirement is to create automated test (scripts) that will do the
testing (mainly acceptance test) of our application (an Exe project
created on C++). I intend to use Ruby for the automated test.

SWIG and Rice are good options, but if you want a fast cheap (not the
safest way of doing this) option... pipe the output of your executable
into ruby.

system("executablename.exe") | manipulate output here.

Again, not recommended but it would still work.

- Mac

Aston

win32ole might be useful if your application already has COM interface read=
y=0Aread more about win32ole here at http://www.rubycentral.com/pickaxe/win=
32.html=0A=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0AFrom: George Thomas <=
(e-mail address removed)>=0ATo: ruby-talk ML <[email protected]>=0ASe=
nt: Monday, 14 September, 2009 4:39:30 AM=0ASubject: Ruby and C++ exe=0A=0A=
Hi,=0A=0AI am new to Ruby , but have a few years of experience in C++.=0A=
=0AMy requirement is to create automated test (scripts) that will do the=
=0Atesting (mainly acceptance test) of our application (an Exe project=0Ac=
reated on C++). I intend to use Ruby for the automated test.=0A=0AMy conce=
rns are as follows.=0A=0AHow can Ruby connect to my application (exe projec=
t on C++). Do I=0Arequire to have a COM interface exposed from my exe appli=
cation so that=0ARuby can call the interface methods from out of process an=
d execute the=0Atest?=0AAre there any easier alternatives?=0A=0APlease adv=
ice.=0A=0ARegards,=0AGeorge=0A-- =0APosted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.=
=0A=0A=0A Now, send attachments up to 25MB with Yahoo! India Mail. Lea=
rn how. http://in.overview.mail.yahoo.com/photos