Ruby books designed especially for beginngers

Kaye Ng

Hey experts, i need your advice.

Can anyone tell me if there's a Ruby ebook that's designed especially
for a beginner like me? When I say beginner, I mean zero knowledge about
programming.

I'm reading Programming Ruby, the Pragmatic Programmer's Guide. I'm
still at "Notation Conventions" and already I am bombarded by terms like
class methods and class constants. I don't even know what a class is.

Would "Little Book of Ruby" be more suitable?

Mochi Mochigome

Kaye said:
Hey experts, i need your advice.

Can anyone tell me if there's a Ruby ebook that's designed especially
for a beginner like me? When I say beginner, I mean zero knowledge about
programming.

I'm reading Programming Ruby, the Pragmatic Programmer's Guide. I'm
still at "Notation Conventions" and already I am bombarded by terms like
class methods and class constants. I don't even know what a class is.

Would "Little Book of Ruby" be more suitable?

How about http://pragprog.com/titles/ltp2/learn-to-program-2nd-edition ?

chris williams

http://www.bitwisemag.com/2/Free-425-Page-Ruby-eBook
Date: Sat=2C 24 Jul 2010 17:14:30 +0900
From: (e-mail address removed)
Subject: Ruby books designed especially for beginngers
To: (e-mail address removed)
=20
Hey experts=2C i need your advice.
=20
Can anyone tell me if there's a Ruby ebook that's designed especially
for a beginner like me? When I say beginner=2C I mean zero knowledge abou= t
programming.
=20
I'm reading Programming Ruby=2C the Pragmatic Programmer's Guide. I'm
still at "Notation Conventions" and already I am bombarded by terms like
class methods and class constants. I don't even know what a class is.
=20
Would "Little Book of Ruby" be more suitable?
--=20
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
=20
=20
Look 'em in the eye: FREE Messenger video chat
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9734386=

Richard Conroy

Brian Maricks Everyday Scripting with Ruby is a good choice, as well as
Learn to Program by Chris Pine which has already been mentioned.

There are a few other beginner ruby books that dont often get mentioned:
Beginning Ruby 2nd Edition by Peter Cooper (it is big though).

There are also quite a few free PDF Ruby books out there, but I dont know
of any that target the novice programmer (only the novice *ruby* programmer)

James Harrison

=20
=20
Brian Maricks Everyday Scripting with Ruby is a good choice, as well = as
Learn to Program by Chris Pine which has already been mentioned.
=20
There are a few other beginner ruby books that dont often get = mentioned:
Beginning Ruby 2nd Edition by Peter Cooper (it is big though).
=20
There are also quite a few free PDF Ruby books out there, but I dont = know
of any that target the novice programmer (only the novice *ruby* = programmer)
--=20
http://richardconroy.blogspot.com

To be honest, I picked up ruby from the pickaxe after picking up =
programming in general from K&R. I think if you're just starting to =
learn programming, K&R is the best book available.=

carlo ledesma

Wow thanks for sharing=0A=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0AFrom: =
chris williams <[email protected]>=0ATo: ruby-talk ML <ruby-talk@ruby-l=
ang.org>=0ASent: Saturday, July 24, 2010 22:53:57=0ASubject: Re: Ruby books=
designed especially for beginngers=0A=0A=0Ahttp://www.bitwisemag.com/2/Fre=
e-425-Page-Ruby-eBook=0A=0A> Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 17:14:30 +0900=0A> From=
: (e-mail address removed)=0A> Subject: Ruby books designed especially for beginng=
ers=0A> To: (e-mail address removed)=0A> =0A> Hey experts, i need your advic=
e.=0A> =0A> Can anyone tell me if there's a Ruby ebook that's designed espe=
cially=0A> for a beginner like me? When I say beginner, I mean zero knowled=
ge about=0A> programming.=0A> =0A> I'm reading Programming Ruby, the Pragma=
tic Programmer's Guide. I'm=0A> still at "Notation Conventions" and alread=
y I am bombarded by terms like=0A> class methods and class constants. I don=
't even know what a class is.=0A> =0A> Would "Little Book of Ruby" be more =
suitable?=0A> -- =0A> Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.=0A> =0A =
=0A_____________________________________________________=
____________=0ALook 'em in the eye: FREE Messenger video chat=0Ahttp://go.m=
icrosoft.com/?linkid=3D9734386=0A=0A

Steve P.

Kaye,

A book that I thought might be appropriate for you was the Visual
Quickstart Guide series, called "Ruby, Learn Ruby the Quick and Easy
Way", by Larry Ullman.

It seems good on explaining the language, but it lacks much more than
trivial examples, with few exceptions.

You can buy it used on Amazon, pretty cheaply.

Hope this helps.
Steve.