Ruby & Cyrillic (Russian encodings)

Armin Roehrl

Hi,

I would be thankful if s.b. could
give me a link dealing with Cyrillic encoding in Russian.

I want todo trivial things like checking whether a letter
is upper-or lower-case ,etc.

Thx,
-A.

Alexander Bokovoy

Hi,

I would be thankful if s.b. could
give me a link dealing with Cyrillic encoding in Russian.
Which encoding? :) There are around 27 cyrillic encodings.
Most of commonly used are supported by iconv() -- this reduces number of
them to 4-6.
I want todo trivial things like checking whether a letter
is upper-or lower-case ,etc.
Look into glibc's Cyrillic locales definitions, together with selected
encodings.

Armin Roehrl

Look into glibc's Cyrillic locales definitions, together with selected
encodings.
Thank you very much. I see I have to invest a bit of time
here to learn the basics first. :).
Have a good weekend,
-A.

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

Saluton!

* Armin Roehrl; 2003-07-11, 20:36 UTC:
Hi,

I would be thankful if s.b. could give me a link dealing with
Cyrillic encoding in Russian.

Cyrillic Charset Soup by Roman Czyborra has information about the
encoding of languages using cyrillic letters and why most people do
not use ISO 8859-5:

http://czyborra.com/charsets/cyrillic.html

Information about character encoding is also available at my home
page. Try any of these URLs:

http://members.lycos.nl/jupp/charsets/
http://mitglied.lycos.de/buran/charsets/
http://members.fortunecity.com/deusxmachina/charsets/

*Note:* For covering *all* cyrillic (not just the characters used for
Russian) you have to use Unicode. All other encodings lack some
characters.

Gis,

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt