Ruby editor for linux

Kyle Schmitt

line.margin.visible=1

to have line numbers turned on by default.

Neat. Just added those. I'll point out those complaints were in
<whine> tags ;) but having that little expansion really helps.

Paganoni

le 08/04/2009 20:02, Paganoni nous a dit:
le 08/04/2009 18:39, Mark Thomas nous a dit:

And RadRails (standalone or as an Eclipse plugin) is not bad for pure
Ruby projects too... But it's a resource hog !

I gave NetBean a try since yesterday : it's a better tool than RadRails
considering the bare bone vital functions : editing, syntax coloring,
auto completion, projects management. Netbeans is really faster than
RadRails and didn't bombed (RadRails bombs every day, even on clean
install).

Martin DeMello

Did you just say joe doesn't use "not ctrl-this" bindings? =A0Btw, joe ju= st
came up in comp.editors, but I had never heard of it. =A0This is twice in
about a week that people have given it positive reviews. =A0Any idea why = the
sudden burst of popularity?

I've heard about it for years, and it's always had its share of fans.
I still recommend it for people who want a simple console editor, it's
much better than nano.

martin

MRH

SO?

As if "evolution" in "GUI-country" were some sort of be all end all.

So what! you have failed to grasp that for many tasks a GUI is not
adequate, and I just can't see what a GUI for applications has to do
with the Linux Kernel.

What's the gibberish about "hardcore" anyway? I have noticed that dumb
and ignorant people tend to use the word hardcore when referring to
anything or anyone they feel threatened by and want to ostracize or
slander . . . interesting. Does that mean that someone who goes to
mass on sundays is a "hardcore" christian? Oh, and the "fans"
label . . . that's funny, people USE the Linux kernel, so I think you
were trying to say "users" . . . not like the Linux kernel is some
kind of tv star people can be a fan of . . .

Bob Hutchison

Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions for a Ruby editor on Linux? I
usually use TextMate on the mac. I'm running Kubuntu and I've
tried Kate, Emacs, and vi. At least with the default setup I can't
say I'm very productive editing Ruby code with any of them.

Vim (not vi) or emacs, according to your preferences, are essential.
There are some things that will always be easier in one of those
editors.

If you asked me last week, I'd have said something along the lines of:
if you like TextMate give gedit a try (http://grigio.org/pimp_my_gedit_was_textmate_linux
). Some people I know use it and like it, but I never have, so I don't
really know. I know some people who like NetBeans, I don't personally,
but it'll probably be worth a look.

As of this week I'm taking a real liking to RubyMine (beta build 820,
now 824) (http://www.jetbrains.com/ruby/index.html). IntelliJ, so far,
is the only IDE-like editor that ever kept me away from vim for any
period of time. Very nice. RubyMine is a Ruby 'version' of IntelliJ.
Nowhere as advanced as IntelliJ, but with the same point of view. It
has improved dramatically in the last several months (I gave up on the
beta around build 450 or something). There's something of a learning
curve on this thing, kind of like vim or emacs, so don't be jumping to
conclusions after flailing around for a few minutes -- check out the
screen casts and the all of the tips-of-the-day (in the help menu).
Now, having used it for 20-30 hours, I'm thinking I'm going to be
*very* happy with it.

Cheers,
Bob

Joel VanderWerf

botp said:
hi joel, i get an error below upon accessing the homepage

An error has been encountered in accessing this page.
1. Server: redshift.sourceforge.net
2. URL path: /nedit/
3. Error notes: NONE
4. Error type: 403
5. Request method: GET
6. Request query string: NONE
7. Time: 2009-04-10 02:30:50 UTC (1239330650)

Oops. Sourceforge has been changing things around lately, but the file
is still there, if you know where to look:

http://redshift.sourceforge.net/nedit/ruby-nedit.pats