Ruby-full debian package

Vincent Fourmond

Hello,

Following last night's discussions, I've created a ruby-full debian
package. It won't make it to etch before a while, if it ever does, but
you can try it out in my personal repository, see

http://vincent.fourmond.neuf.fr/debian.html

Any comments would be very welcome, especially from the debian-unhappy.

Vince

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Vincent said:
Hello,

Following last night's discussions, I've created a ruby-full debian
package. It won't make it to etch before a while, if it ever does, but
you can try it out in my personal repository, see

http://vincent.fourmond.neuf.fr/debian.html

Any comments would be very welcome, especially from the debian-unhappy.

Vince
Will it get into "sid"? Ubuntu grabs packages from "sid", right?

Vincent Fourmond

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky said:
Will it get into "sid"? Ubuntu grabs packages from "sid", right?

I hope that it will. There shouldn't be any troubles about that. The
thing about etch is that it did reach a state of freeze, where entry of
new packages is strictly regulated. I'll see if the package can make it
through, though.

Thanks for your interest,

Vince

Trans

Vincent said:
Hello,

Following last night's discussions, I've created a ruby-full debian
package. It won't make it to etch before a while, if it ever does, but
you can try it out in my personal repository, see

what is ruby-full?

T.

Vincent Fourmond

Trans said:
what is ruby-full?

For technical reasons too long to get into, the ruby standard
installation is splitted over many different packages in debian. Though
it is necessary, I understand that it is painful, especially for
beginners, to select and install all the required packages. Hence a
ruby-full package which installs all the small packages that make up to
a full ruby installation.

Cheers,

Vince

dblack

Hi --

Hello,

Following last night's discussions, I've created a ruby-full debian
package. It won't make it to etch before a while, if it ever does, but
you can try it out in my personal repository, see

http://vincent.fourmond.neuf.fr/debian.html

Any comments would be very welcome, especially from the debian-unhappy.

Many thanks for doing this. I don't use Debian, but as a Ruby
installation cheerleader I'll be glad to see the last of the
fragmentation problems associated with Debian. Hopefully at some
point they can get rid of the split-up packages entirely and just do
something close to a full/normal install every time. (Then you can
take the "-full" off the name :)

David

--
Q. What's a good holiday present for the serious Rails developer?
aka The Ruby book for Rails developers!

Ken Bloom

Vincent Fourmond said:
Hello,

Following last night's discussions, I've created a ruby-full debian
package. It won't make it to etch before a while, if it ever does, but
you can try it out in my personal repository, see

http://vincent.fourmond.neuf.fr/debian.html

Any comments would be very welcome, especially from the debian-unhappy.

Are you a DD? If so, please work to get this into sid (and etch) ASAP.
If not, please discuss with the ruby maintainers and the Debian
release team to try and get it in ASAP. There have been outstanding
bugs on this for a while that still haven't been solved.

--Ken

Wilson Bilkovich

Hello,

Following last night's discussions, I've created a ruby-full debian
package. It won't make it to etch before a while, if it ever does, but
you can try it out in my personal repository, see

http://vincent.fourmond.neuf.fr/debian.html

Any comments would be very welcome, especially from the debian-unhappy.

You are a Debian legend. Please get this into the mainline, if you can.

Vincent Fourmond

Ken said:
Are you a DD? If so, please work to get this into sid (and etch) ASAP.
If not, please discuss with the ruby maintainers and the Debian
release team to try and get it in ASAP. There have been outstanding
bugs on this for a while that still haven't been solved.

I'm not a DD yet, though that is now really close (have a look at
https://nm.debian.org/nmlist.php#dam ). I've asked someone from the ruby
team to sponsor the package yesterday when I came back from holidays,
but I am quite sceptical about it making it to etch in time. In sid
afterwards, sure.

Cheers,

Vince