Ruby oriented JavaCC-like parser generator?

Eric Tucker

I'm looking for a really solid parser generator where I can write my own grammar like in JavaCC or Lex/Yacc to parse files in a custom built language. The more portable and more efficient the better (two mutually exclusive requirements? :) ) Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Eric

Gustav Paul

Hey Eric,

Have you checked out ANTLR?

Regards,
Gustav

Yugui (Yuki Sonoda)

I'm looking for a really solid parser generator where I can write my own grammar like in JavaCC or Lex/Yacc to parse files in a custom built language. The more portable and more efficient the better (two mutually exclusive requirements? :) ) Any suggestions?

Racc (http://i.loveruby.net/en/projects/racc/) is similar to Yacc.
You can write a grammer like in Yacc, and you can write actions in Ruby
instead of C.

It generates a ruby class for a grammer. The generated class depends on
racc-runtime (written in C), but the runtime is in the Ruby's standard
library.
So it is efficient and portable.

-- Yugui <[email protected]>

Ryan Davis

I'm looking for a really solid parser generator where I can write my
own grammar like in JavaCC or Lex/Yacc to parse files in a custom
built language. The more portable and more efficient the better (two
mutually exclusive requirements? :) ) Any suggestions?

most of us use racc (for better or worse)... aaron and I are
maintaining it now and aaron has taken on rexx, tho he's released it
under a new name (currently forgetting, but prolly on his github).