Ruby script on OpenBSD needs to connect to Oracle 8i on Linux

Evangeline South

I'm cross-posting to Ruby & OpenBSD because I'm not sure which experts
are best suited to help me with this... (And I'm tired of talking to
the Oracle people who tell me to just move everything over to Linux or
Win2k or Solaris!)

Machine 1: Oracle 8i on Linux, Production box, running listeners, all
is well there, it seems.
Machine 2: OpenBSD. Some Ruby scripts, running fine, but need to
query (through DBI or ?) the Oracle DB.

Machine 1 and 2 are on a LAN, behind a firewall, so it should be some
simple 192.168.xxx or hostnames to reference each other, but the
software/drivers/whatever I need to run on the OpenBSD box eludes me!
I've installed the DBI package for Ruby, with 7/8/9 drivers, but they
don't want to install clean or start themselves because I suspect
there's some underlying Oracle stuff that needs to go on the OpenBSD
box first. Am I mistaken?

Many thanks for any help!

Evangeline

Steve Peters

Well, your big problem is that I do not believe that the Oracle client
libraries have been ported to OpenBSD. Without those libraries, you
will not be able to connect to Oracle.

Steve Peters