Ruby,SDL,OpenGL

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Kyle Pinkman, Oct 6, 2006.

  1. Kyle Pinkman

    Kyle Pinkman Guest

    This is in regards to my last topic, where I was having problems with
    lag, I got around to thinking that maybe it was just the way RUDL
    handled opengl, and somehow caused lag, so I thought I'd go ahead and
    try in normal SDL, now.. so far I am running 32 polygons, and am at 200+
    fps, rather then the old 20+ fps, it seems to be working perfectly now,
    all for the fact SDL doesnt give me a good error message.. IE:
    ---------------------------
    rubyw.exe - Application Error
    ---------------------------
    The exception Breakpoint

    A breakpoint has been reached.

    (0x80000003) occurred in the application at location 0x7c901230.

    Click on OK to terminate the program
    Click on CANCEL to debug the program
    ---------------------------
    OK Cancel
    ---------------------------

    although, I know where the problem is located, just not sure what to do
    to fix it, seeing how that error is no help. It could be anything. But I
    at least know its because of my code, I cant seem to load a texture
    inopengl with the SDL library.. my code so far is

    def load_texture(texture,arr)
    if (texture.nil?)
    exit
    end
    #texture.convert!
    texture.setColorKey SDL::SRCCOLORKEY, texture[0,0]
    texture = texture.displayFormat
    image = SDL::Surface.new(SDL::SRCCOLORKEY | SDL::SRCALPHA,
    [texture.w,texture.h], 32, [0x000000FF, 0x0000FF00, 0x00FF0000,
    0xFF000000])
    #image.fill [0,0,0,0]
    image.put(texture, [0,0])
    image = image.displayFormat
    GL.BindTexture(GL::TEXTURE_2D,arr[0]);
    GL.TexParameter(GL::TEXTURE_2D, GL::TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL::LINEAR);
    GL.TexParameter(GL::TEXTURE_2D, GL::TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL::LINEAR);
    GL.TexImage2D(GL::TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL::RGBA,image.w, image.h, 0,
    GL::RGBA, GL::UNSIGNED_BYTE, image.pixels)
    end

    wich is a quick transformation from the RUDL version to SDL.. if anyone
    knows how to load textures with SDL, tell me.. I am achen to get this to
    work.

    Kyle Pinkman, Oct 6, 2006

  2. Kyle Pinkman

    anne001 Guest

    Maybe running your program in opengl would help, you would know if the
    problem was opengl or sdl.

    I have opengl from yoshi running on my mac if you want me to try your
    program, or if you are on pc, maybe you could download and install it

    Please post what you learn, there are not many people working with
    opengl/ruby who post on the list.

    anne001, Oct 7, 2006

  3. Kyle Pinkman

    Kyle Pinkman Guest

    it isnt my opengl code its the sdl.. just need to know how to make the
    correct surface to load in the opengl texture module

    Kyle Pinkman, Oct 7, 2006