Ruby smile

baalbek

Mostly for the newbies who stumbles into this NG, wondering what Ruby is
all about...

Well, Ruby is the digital equivalent of a big smile!

The more I learn about Ruby (modules import, the ease of extending it in
C/C++, closures, tight but readable syntax, everything works like one
expects, etc etc etc), the bigger the smile on my face when coding...

Someone (I think at the ActiveGrid site: http://www.activegrid.com )
mentioned LAMP as the greatest thing open source had to offer!

I beg to differ!

Linux (ok, no problems there), the L of LAMP

Apache (ditto), the A of LAMP

MySql, the M of LAMP: I feel I just stepped into some dog poop; why on
earth use this database, and paying for it, when you have PostgreSQL and
Firebird http://firebird.sourceforge.net?

Perl/Python/Php, the P of LAMP: WHAT THE F**CK..... I have used Python
in the past (before I got to know Ruby), and it's not bad, but Perl/Php???

Let's get rid of this LAMP thing, and instead start using LARF
(Linux/Apache/Ruby/Firebird)... now there's a killer combination!

Baalbek

James Britt

baalbek wrote:
Someone (I think at the ActiveGrid site: http://www.activegrid.com )
mentioned LAMP as the greatest thing open source had to offer!

I beg to differ!

As have many here, many times before.

Let's get rid of this LAMP thing, and instead start using LARF
(Linux/Apache/Ruby/Firebird)... now there's a killer combination!

While I'm sympathetic to the sentiment ("LAMP Considered Harmful" sums
it up for me), I'm still not enthusiastic about replacing one rigid
acronym with another, preferring that people be encouraged to think
carefully and choose the best tools for the job rather than opt for some
coincidental subset based on certain initials.

James

Jeremy Tregunna

Let's get rid of this LAMP thing, and instead start using LARF
(Linux/Apache/Ruby/Firebird)... now there's a killer combination!

Yeah but for those of us who don't use Linux, but rather any one of the
BSD's, you're LARF turns into "BARF" real quick... not very attractive,
now is it? =]

Bill Guindon

On 20-May-05, at 9:35 PM, baalbek wrote:
=20
Let's get rid of this LAMP thing, and instead start using LARF
(Linux/Apache/Ruby/Firebird)... now there's a killer combination!
=20
Yeah but for those of us who don't use Linux, but rather any one of the
BSD's, you're LARF turns into "BARF" real quick... not very attractive,
now is it? =3D]

Sounds like it blows chunks of data at you. Could be a good thing,
but you have to be slightly twisted to see that.

--=20
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla) <-- who is slightly twisted

Logan Capaldo

Let's get rid of this LAMP thing, and instead start using LARF
(Linux/Apache/Ruby/Firebird)... now there's a killer combination!

Yeah but for those of us who don't use Linux, but rather any one of the
BSD's, you're LARF turns into "BARF" real quick... not very attractive,
now is it? =3D]
=20
Sounds like it blows chunks of data at you. Could be a good thing,
but you have to be slightly twisted to see that.
=20=20

Somebody on slashdot translated it to Linux Apache Middleware Postgres once=

Lionel Thiry

Jeremy Tregunna a écrit :
Let's get rid of this LAMP thing, and instead start using LARF
(Linux/Apache/Ruby/Firebird)... now there's a killer combination!

Yeah but for those of us who don't use Linux, but rather any one of the
BSD's, you're LARF turns into "BARF" real quick... not very attractive,
now is it? =]

And on Darwin, it would be DWARF! :]