Ruby under Cygwin problems

JZ

Whatever Ruby module I want to install under Cygwin I always get the same
error: ruby: No such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError)

I've tried install rubygem, rubyfcgi etc. After "ruby config.rb config" or
"ruby config.rb install" I get error: "ruby: No such file to load --
ubygems (LoadError)" It looks strange. I am using last cygwin installation
with ruby 1.8.2 ()ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [i386-cygwin])

Daniel Brockman

JZ said:
Whatever Ruby module I want to install under Cygwin I always get the
same error: ruby: No such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError)

Sounds like someone is using `-rubygems' instead of `-rrubygems'.
(Sorry for stating the obvious.)

Austin Ziegler

Sounds like someone is using `-rubygems' instead of `-rrubygems'.
(Sorry for stating the obvious.)

Except that in a RubyGems installation, there's an ubygems.rb that
simply loads rubygems.rb.

The problem, I suspect, is that JZ has both the cygwin Ruby and the
One-Click Ruby installed. The native Windows Ruby includes RubyGems.
The cygwin Ruby does not.

-austin
--=20
Austin Ziegler * (e-mail address removed)
* Alternate: (e-mail address removed)

Lothar Scholz

Hello Daniel,

DB> Sounds like someone is using `-rubygems' instead of `-rrubygems'.
DB> (Sorry for stating the obvious.)

No this is not the problem, it's just one more of this quick and
dirty hacks (that i don't like in ruby). To make it more readable
someone had to the great idea to write a "ubygems.rb" file that
contains only one line "require 'rubygems'". The 'ubygems.rb' is
included by default in the one-click-installer and the rubygems
package.

And setting RUBYOPT by default is IMHO another quick and dirty hack.

Daniel Brockman

Lothar Scholz said:
To make it more readable someone had to the great idea to write a
"ubygems.rb" file that contains only one line "require 'rubygems'".

I see... Sort of clever. Kind of cute.
And ultimately more confusing than useful.

JZ

Dnia Tue, 5 Jul 2005 12:37:17 +0900, Austin Ziegler napisa³(a):
The problem, I suspect, is that JZ has both the cygwin Ruby and the
One-Click Ruby installed.

Yes, I have. After unseting RUBYOPT variable I can install gem.

karlin.fox

No this is not the problem, it's just one more of this quick and dirty hacks (that i don't like in ruby).

I agree whole-heartedly that this is a silly hack. In introducing
others to Ruby I've had them complain about how unclear the -r ubygems
thing is. One of my coworkers swore he would never use rubygems
because of this, I had a hard time convincing him otherwise. Cygwin
ruby and the one-click installer should work better together, and
RUBYOPT and ubygems are the first problems to solve towards this goal,
IMHO. I think ubygems critically violates the least-surprise principle!