Ruby vs Python?

Daniel Carrera

Hi all,

Could someone offer me a comparison between Ruby and Python?

Me and one other person are thinking of starting a project and we haven't
quite settled on a language. We're just discussing ideas right now. It's
a project to make a cross-platform Installer Maker for Linux, Mac and
Windows.

We have pretty much narrowed it down to Ruby or Python. I think that
we're leaning towards the wxWindows toolkit. Also, we are thinking of
using Gentoo-style Ebuilds as the basis of the installer. Since wxPython
is already mature, and Gentoo's Portage is implemented in Python, I guess
that we are probably leaning towards Python.

But I'd like to hear some thoughts and opinions first.

Thanks all.
--
Daniel Carrera, Math PhD student at UMD. PGP KeyID: 9AF77A88
.-"~~~"-. Weekly Smile:

Dave Thomas

Daniel Carrera wrote:

Could someone offer me a comparison between Ruby and Python?

Me and one other person are thinking of starting a project and we haven't
quite settled on a language. We're just discussing ideas right now. It's
a project to make a cross-platform Installer Maker for Linux, Mac and
Windows.

We have pretty much narrowed it down to Ruby or Python. I think that
we're leaning towards the wxWindows toolkit. Also, we are thinking of
using Gentoo-style Ebuilds as the basis of the installer. Since wxPython
is already mature, and Gentoo's Portage is implemented in Python, I guess
that we are probably leaning towards Python.

But I'd like to hear some thoughts and opinions first.

I don't think there's a meaningful comparison that would help you: the
two languages are similar enough in terms of features that you should
probably go with the one that makes you comfortable.

In your place I'd go with Python.

Dave

finrod

Daniel Carrera wrote:

8-<

I don't think there's a meaningful comparison that would help you: the
two languages are similar enough in terms of features that you should
probably go with the one that makes you comfortable.

In your place I'd go with Python.

Dave

That's what I call a pragmatic programmer :)

Gour

Daniel said:
We have pretty much narrowed it down to Ruby or Python. I think that
we're leaning towards the wxWindows toolkit. Also, we are thinking of
using Gentoo-style Ebuilds as the basis of the installer. Since wxPython
is already mature, and Gentoo's Portage is implemented in Python, I guess
that we are probably leaning towards Python.

But I'd like to hear some thoughts and opinions first.

Have you considered AAP (Agide) project(s) written in (wx)Python?

Sincerely,
Gour

Gerard A.W. Vreeswijk

Never one to let a nit go unpicked, I would point out that it's Andy
Hunt (you know, the *other* Pragmatic Programmer) who is primarily
responsible for the Windows installer for Ruby ;)

How sloppish of me. My apologies to Dave and Andy. And, yes, I now know
for sure it's Andy because I just downloaded his Windows Installer for
Ruby 1.8.0 final :)

Thank you for finding the time to fit doing this into your busy schedule.
I'm sure I speak for many when I say without the one-click windows installer
I would never have got past first base with ruby.
Best wishes,
Jon Hawkesworth

Second that.

Jim Freeze

Never one to let a nit go unpicked, I would point out that it's Andy
Hunt (you know, the *other* Pragmatic Programmer) who is primarily
responsible for the Windows installer for Ruby ;)

Why are these old posts showing up?
This one was on: Date: 2003-08-12 10:16:28 PST