    The final idea for the project would be to run ruby code on the OLPC.

    Can you give me any pointers?

    Aureliano.

    Aureliano Calvo, Nov 15, 2007

  2. Aureliano Calvo

    Ryan Davis Guest

    None that I know of outside of ruby.
    Why not run ruby on OLPC? Just to avoid the extra install?

    Ryan Davis, Nov 15, 2007

  3. Aureliano Calvo

    Markus Liedl Guest

    You might have a look at the "Ruby top down Grammar" project. It is a
    hosting language neutral Ruby grammar. You might translate that
    grammar
    to a Python recursive descent parser or interprete the grammar from
    some
    Python code. If you know Python well that should be doable in a few
    days
    time. Be warned that you would be the first client of this grammar.

    Markus Liedl, Nov 16, 2007
  4. I'm translating Ruby to Javascript and use ParseTree for that. Python is a
    little less dynamic than Ruby, so for example AFAIK Python doesn't execute
    module-level code when it is loaded as Ruby does. That means that you can't
    simply convert Ruby to Python code 1:1. What I am doing with RubyJS (my Ruby to
    Javascript compiler) is to first evaluate the Ruby code (all meta-programming
    stuff is going on here) and then compile each class to Javascript. This is very
    powerful.

    It should be easier to compile Ruby to Python than it is for compiling Ruby to
    Javascript. But I'd be more interested in compiling Python to Ruby, which should
    be even easier.

    Regards,

    Michael

    Michael Neumann, Nov 16, 2007
  5. From what I've heard and seen of Javascript, I'm not sure that the
    opposite isn't true.

    Javascript gets much less credit than it deserves.

    Rick DeNatale, Nov 16, 2007
  6. Aureliano Calvo

    Mark Shroyer Guest

    There's a pretty good chance I'm misinterpreting what you mean by
    this; however,

    [sed:~] mshroyer$ echo '
    [sed:~] mshroyer$ python
    Python 2.5.1 (r251:54869, Apr 18 2007, 22:08:04)
    Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more
    information.

    Mark Shroyer, Nov 17, 2007
  7. IMHO Python has a much better underlying model, just take Javascript "null"
    special values. They are not objects! This makes it harder to compile from an
    "everything is an object language" to Javascript. Just one example :)

    Regards,

    Michael

    Michael Neumann, Nov 18, 2007
  8. Hi all!
    That's what I was looking for, tanks.

    Aureliano Calvo, Nov 19, 2007
  9. I'm thinking about implementing a ruby to python translator (this is a
    Yeah! But it's a lot more important that seems like an entertaining project.

    Aureliano Calvo, Nov 19, 2007