    Regards.

    -HackerGene.

    HomePage: http://www.hackergene.com

    HackerGene, Dec 31, 2009

  2. Improve your English. Read a couple of style guides (space goes after
    punctuation, not before it), and brush up your grammar.

    The Economist's style guide, the Chicago Manual of Style are both good
    sources for more-or-less correct English.

    Then, for the heck of it, translate an article from, say, the Japanese
    Wikipedia into English, and into your native language. Once you have
    done that, I'm sure another application will at least be considered.

    Phillip Gawlowski, Dec 31, 2009

  3. HackerGene

    James Britt Guest

    I was just checking ruby-lang.org, and the various translated versions,
    and there are numerous gaps in posts being translate from English.

    So here's someone offering to help out with a community-driven,
    open-source project that clearly needs the help, and is greeted with a
    lecture on grammar and told to come back later.

    I'm sure we all want translations to be clear and accurate, but surely
    we can find some way to encourage more people to contribute what they can.

    If nothing else, whoever is the ruby-lang.org webmaster should send a reply.

    (BTW, who *is* the the ruby-lang.org webmaster?)

    --
    James Britt

    www.neurogami.com - Smart application development

    James Britt, Dec 31, 2009
  4. HackerGene

    Ryan Davis Guest

    punctuation, not before it), and brush up your grammar.
    versions, and there are numerous gaps in posts being translate from =
    English.
    open-source project that clearly needs the help, and is greeted with a =
    lecture on grammar and told to come back later.
    we can find some way to encourage more people to contribute what they =
    can.
    reply.

    Thank you. That was a lot nicer than the beat down I was mentally =
    composing.

    (and better written (ha!))
    I thought it was JEG?

    Ryan Davis, Dec 31, 2009
  5. A firm grasp of the language translated to and/or from isn't "nice to
    have", it's essential.

    It is even more essential in technical writing, since it requires a very
    high level of exact translation to eliminate possible double-meanings.

    A German - English example:
    "source code"

    Can be translated as "Quelltext", "Programmcode", or "Code-Quelle
    erstellen", only the first two are proper translations of the term
    "source code", the third option meaning "generate academic source for
    code", or "acquire academic source for code". This is made even more
    difficult in that "code" can mean "program source code", *or* "cypher".

    Two words, and a whole paragraph of possibilities. ;)
    Sure. But I don't know about you, but proof-reading and editing aren't
    really fun if the source material is anything like the OP's initial email.

    Suggestions were requested, suggestions were provided.

    I also admit to a certain... terseness in my written English (it's a
    known fault, but one difficult for me to fix, it being a personality
    trait), but--especially as a non-native English speaker--I take care to
    write at least clear English (not that I always succeed), and I am
    doubly aware of grammatical errors since they jump at me from any given
    text. I blame the endless drills in school on false friends.

    However, I'm also cringing when I catch myself making a typo. I'm
    hypercritical, not hypocritical. ;)

    Phillip Gawlowski, Dec 31, 2009
  6. He doesn't need an English style guide if he's translating *from*
    English.
    Totally unnecessary. Just translate something from English into your
    target language.
    Best,

    Marnen Laibow-Koser, Dec 31, 2009
  7. I'm getting ready to ramp up for I18N on Try Ruby.
    My focus is still on browser compatibility right now.
    I think I spoke with you already about this. If it wasn't you then I apolog=
    ize.

    Translations (or any bug reports) on Try Ruby are welcome.

    Isn't your target language Espa=F1ol?
    If I am mistaken then what languages are you wishing to translate to?

    Sincerely,
    Andrew McElroy

    andrew mcelroy, Dec 31, 2009
  8. but still get no reply.
    My apologies. I'm looking into your request now and will get back to =
    you as soon as I know something.

    James Edward Gray II=

    James Edward Gray II, Dec 31, 2009
  9. There's a team of us actually. Usually Curt Hibbs manages the =
    translations, which is why I didn't respond to the message in question. =
    It seems as though it has fallen through the cracks though, so I'll see =
    if I can push things along.

    James Edward Gray II=

    James Edward Gray II, Dec 31, 2009
  10. Yes. But there is a difference between reading and writing. I can read
    German very well and speak it more or less fluently, and I sometimes
    take German>English translation jobs for extra income. However, I have
    trouble writing comprehensibly in German.

    This situation is common. In fact, most professional translators
    consider it *unethical* to translate into other than their native
    language.
    Right. This is why you need a native German speaker familiar with the
    field to do that translation.
    But an English style guide won't help to understand that!
    Yup. But they were suggestions appropriate to translating *into*
    English, which the OP is not going to be doing.
    Best,

    Marnen Laibow-Koser, Dec 31, 2009