    tutorials for other languages that can be applied do Ruby/X11, too?

    Thanks in advance

    Malte

    Malte Milatz, Feb 27, 2005

  2. Malte Milatz

    vruz Guest

    Is it possible to play around with it a bit (that, and nothing more, is
    Very readable, clean code, still, you should know at least the basics
    of X11 for it to be useful to you.

    Keep in mind it was written originally for an older Ruby version
    (1.6.4 if I remember well, please correct me Mathieu if I'm wrong)

    Still, I don't understand what you mean by "tutorials for other
    languages that can be applied"

    Ruby/X11 is entirely written in Ruby, to be used from within Ruby
    programs, but of course there's plenty of other things that can be
    done on top of it, imagination is the limit.

    cheers,
    vruz

    vruz, Feb 27, 2005

  3. Malte Milatz

    Malte Milatz Guest

    Thanks for your answer. When you wrote "the basics of X11", did you mean I
    should know the overall structure of the X11 protocol? That's going to be
    a lot of stuff to read...

    However, it seems that I would have to look at the code of Ruby/X11 and
    guess and try out how it does what. That's actually what I wanted to
    avoid, because I usually struggle enough with my own code, and don't like
    time-consuming exercises like that.

    Malte

    Malte Milatz, Feb 27, 2005
  4. Malte Milatz

    Eric Hodel Guest

    --Apple-Mail-38-305787423

    Ruby/X11 is an X protocol implementation. It lacks many of the helpful
    methods of Xlib, so if you'll need to write out similar helpful wrapper
    methods yourself.

    --
    Eric Hodel - - http://segment7.net
    FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

    --Apple-Mail-38-305787423
    name=PGP.sig
    content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

    --Apple-Mail-38-305787423--