RubyScript munges up Windows command line operation

Philo Del Middleston

Installed RubyScript on my Windows XP Pro machine to try it out. After that,
trying to run .rb files from the command line causes the error "x.rb is not
a valid win32 image," or some crap like that.

Tried all kinds of variations of assoc and ftype, but couldn't get it to go
away.

Finally just reinstalled the Pragmatic distribution. Command line works fine
now.

That whole thing pretty much sucked, and ate a good chunk of my afternoon. I
guess if I want to script Ruby on web pages I'll just have to stick to my
Linux servers.

Joe Gwozdecki

"Philo Del Middleston" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
Installed RubyScript on my Windows XP Pro machine to try it
out. After that,
trying to run .rb files from the command line causes the
error "x.rb is not
a valid win32 image," or some crap like that.

Tried all kinds of variations of assoc and ftype, but
couldn't get it to go
away.

Finally just reinstalled the Pragmatic distribution. Command
line works fine
now.

That whole thing pretty much sucked, and ate a good chunk of
my afternoon. I
guess if I want to script Ruby on web pages I'll just have
to stick to my
Linux servers.

If you look at the messages in this group, and any other
group for that matter, probably the number one issue is
trying to get something to run on a version of Windows. It
is impossible to fix something where the code is secret.
For myself, if I can't do it simply and easily, I have
learned to give up fast. 99.9% of my computer problems are
from Windows. FreeBSD gives me the rest, and they are all
fixable.. You are not alone.

Joe Gwozdecki
Houston, Texas